Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Tramp on H18
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I removed the tramp and wing sheets on my 18sx for winter storage any suggestions on proper installation? Lines? length? material? taughtness?

Thanks

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like to use thin diameter high strength no strech line. You local West Marine carries these mini spools of Pulse, works real good and is very cost effective. As for tension you want it tight. Don't kill it or the tracks in fastened to the inside of each hull will become loose which is a pain to fix, but still you want it tight. There is a great section on the installation which can be downloaded here from the assembly manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can get low stretch line a most any marine supply center. There are some venders that specialize in catamaran gear such as www.saltydogmarine.com They sell Trampoline lace kits for Hobie’s and others. Per-cut to the proper length.

The main trampoline lace is Super low stretch 1/4 inch line. One length at 13 feet and two lengths at 15 feet.

The Wing Trampolines consist of two lengths of Super low stretch 3/16â€

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to both of you for your detailed advice. You mentioned an assembly manual? Where can that be downloaded from?
Thanks again

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just did some browsing on the Hobie site and found the H18 assembly manual! This should be very helpful!
One more question: I have noticed that the piece that mounts the mast hinge on the forward crossbar is not fully snug to the crossbar and appears to be held inplace by rivets and a stainless mount post underneath. Is that something I should be concerened with and how might I correct it?

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

>>>One more question: I have noticed that the piece that mounts the mast hinge on the forward crossbar is not fully snug to the crossbar and appears to be held inplace by rivets and a stainless mount post underneath. Is that something I should be concerened with and how might I correct it? <<<

The mast base is an important structural component to the boat. It should be held firmly to the front crossbar. The mast base on the 18 is succeptable to loosening and requiring re-attachment. If it's only just raising up off of the crossbar, its probably ok for a little while longer. If it is very wobbly or even no longer attached, then it needs to be re-riveted.

There have been a few different mast base configurations over the years for the 18. The latest mast bases having 4 rivets hold it in place. If your base dosen't have 4 rivets, you should consider replacing it with one that does.

The procedure for replacing the rivets is pretty easy. If possible, loosen the dolphin striker rod (the nuts are at the ends of the front crossbar). If the boat has been sailed in salt water, the rod is probably frozen. If the dolphin striker can't be loosened, you will have to compress the mast base down on to the crossbar. You can use a car jack between the dolphin striker rod and the front crossbar to do this. I have also used the winch on my trailer threaded under the trailer crossbar and tied to the bottom of the dolphin striker to pull the assembly down. Then, drill the heads off of the old rivets and punch the rivet shank into the crossbar.

I would suggest letting the mast base rise off the crossbar at this point so you can inspect the holes and for cracks (my boat is on its 3rd crossbar due to cracking in this area). If the holes have gotten big, you will either have to install the next size up rivets (standard is 3/16", so 1/4" would be next size up) or re-locate the holes.

Install the new (Stainless Steel or Monel) rivets. The base should be solid to the crossbar. Re-tighten the dolphin striker rod if it was loosened.

sm