Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking I can just drill and tap that missing pin and put a screw in there like i dit the other?? Any thoughts since parts aren't available?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Drill off the flipper and go sailing. You’ll enjoy life so much more without the flipper.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

that flipper has a much varied base here. some hate it and remove it, others , like me, don't seem to have a problem with it. If you want it on there, then make sure it flips easily to gravity, while not moving laterally. That bolt but with a stainless/ nylon lock nut helps adjust side play the best. there are many tricks here to deal with them. A diff halyard ring, twisting the halyard, turning the mast during hoist, etc. i find i can feel mine and hook it usually by second attempt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe a generous application of Sailkote to the luff tape/bolt rope and inside the sail track would help to make the sail slide better and make it easier to feel what's happening as you try to hook it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John Forbes wrote:
Drill off the flipper and go sailing. You’ll enjoy life so much more without the flipper.

How would I get to sail down if I don't have the flipper?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometime the way the halyard line enters the ring can be a problem. The knot interferes with dropping into the hook. Look that over.

Maybe the best advice I can give is to twist the halyard several times so the ring is riding up the side of the mast that the hook is on. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

broken08 wrote:
John Forbes wrote:

How would I get to sail down if I don't have the flipper?

Mast rotation seems to be the most important part of the process.

You have to be able to rotate the mast at least 90 degrees ( while keeping the boom straight ) to get some sideways pulling action.

Rotate toward the hook to latch on, and rotate away from the hook to release.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bill 404 wrote:
Sometime the way the halyard line enters the ring can be a problem. The knot interferes with dropping into the hook. Look that over.

Maybe the best advice I can give is to twist the halyard several times so the ring is riding up the side of the mast that the hook is on. :wink:

Yea the knot needs to be out for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Locking the Hobie 17/18/20/21 Halyard:

It is best to simulate the halyard locking with the mast down so you clearly understand the system.

Then, depending on how old the boat is, be sure the hook does not have the old "flopper" stainless piece hanging on the hook. This old device caused difficulty in raising and hooking but would make it easier to release and lower.

Also, be sure that the knot tied to the ring is very low profile. A long bowline knot will hit the mast head before the ring gets to the hook.

If the ring has a small loop at the top... The line should be passed through the loop and a small knot tied. The knot (when ring and shackle are affixed to the sail) should be facing the mast. This tilts the ring closer to the mast.

Then (before attaching halyard shackle to the sail) spin the halyard 3 or 4 times clockwise (looking down on the shackle). This "pre-loads" the halyard line and causes the ring to swing back towards the hook. Keep the boat into the wind and hoist. Should lock easily.

To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... rotate the aft of the mast base to starboard, hold the mast rotated, ease the halyard a few feet before releasing the mast. Lower the sail.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out my boats Facebook page. It has the photo of the halyard ring and shackle with the halyard stitched, not knotted. Also note the cut off bolt rope. This helps immensely.

Also, raise and lower the sail with the rig tension off. It makes it MUCH easier to hook on and hook off.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/