Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered a new mast bearing (part #60110000) for my Hobie 18SX. It came with a Teflon washer that I installed under the bearing. It seems to me that the entire assembly should rotate if it is a "bearing". When I tighten the screw (part #8030211) down the entire assembly does not rotate & I don't even have to tighten it very hard to make it stop rotating. Can someone tell me if it is supposed to rotate, or does the mast just move by the hinge rubbing on the bearing.

Thanks,
--Tad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine rotaqtes, but it is several years old. It dosn't seem to wear much.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The old bearing on mine was very worn. I am thinking maybe the screw is too short so it is clamping down on the actual bearing instead of bottoming out in the casting.

Post subject: Step the mast
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Once the mast is set on it... it will rotate on the bearing. The screw needs to be tight. The teflon bearing will compress.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, Mine also has a thick steel washer under the teflon washer. I am wondering if a previous owner added that or if it is part of the original assembly. I don't see the steel washer in the Hobie 18/18SX diagram. Wondering if I should take the steel washer out so that the teflon washer rests directly on the mast casting?

Post subject: Washer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Correct, there is not supposed to be a washer under the teflon chip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We took the boat up to Lucky Peak Reservoir yesterday. I had ordered a new mast hinge as well. We had to remove that steel washer to even get the mast pin into the hinge. Thanks for letting me know it was not an original part. It would have made for a bit of head scratching otherwise. I promptly chucked that steel washer into the garbage. We have found some wacky things that have been added to this boat over the years from past owners. The new bearing works great! The mast spins just as it is supposed to with no slipping now. Thanks Again!

--Tad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In the Hobie 18/18SX Assembly manual there is two styles of Dolphin post Assemblies. (Old and New) The Hemisphere shaped part that the mast rotates on in the old style it is called a Mast Step Pad (10-4) and in the new style it is called a Bearing (11-3).

In both styles, are these parts suppose to rotate freely?
I have the old style on a '79 HC-18 and the retaining screw seems to compress the Mast Step Pad before bottoming out. Is it possible that this part was replaced with the new version "Bearing"? Will the current “Bearingâ€

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Pad - Bearing... same thing.

Same part different person describing it. They are both like little 1/2 balls... flat side down. They should rotate, but without a Teflon chip under them, they would just grind against the inside of the mast base cup and wear while making lots of noise.

The difference (related to the bearing) in the new and old is mostly that the screw threads into aluminum on the old and directly into the striker post in the new (less corrosion). The old had a small sleeve spacer resting on the casting. That was the center of the bearing. Tighten the screw (through the sleeve) to retain the bearing. You can use small washers under the screw head to have the screw tighten up to the casting / sleeve before pinching down on the bearing. Both have similar castings that the bearing rests on, but the new is much larger / wider in its attachment to the crossbar. Now the post inserts clear through the step casting. The top of the post has a shoulder that seats into the casting. Then it extends though and above the casting flat area. The bearing rests over the top of the post and the screw and washer retains it. There does seem to be a little more room in the new system for a bearing chip (Teflon) to help the bearing rotate easier.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)