Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I am writing this due to an issue I keep encountering with my Hobie 18. Every time I attempt to raise the sail it gets stuck at a specific part of the mast (I have attached a picture of where it gets stuck). I have tried everything that I have found online, including loosening the battens, keeping the mast aligned with the halyard and sail, holding the sail to feed it straight into the feeder and tract, keeping the halyard untangled, as well as raising the sail with absolutely no wind to prevent it from moving from side to side.

This is literally the only issue keeping me from using the boat, and it is exceedingly annoying due to there seemingly being nothing present to cause it. I have looked at this forum post, https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62402, and have done as the user mmiller stated in his post, all without success. As there was nothing else online to go by, I decided to finally make an account here to see if there are any new perspectives on the problem.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by seasnake on Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:23 am 
Site Admin

I would look at the halyard itself. Is it tangled on something up top? Tie the end to the shackle and try to hoist like a flag halyard to be sure it can go all the way up without the sail. Be careful to not lock the ring at the top without the sail attached.

Maybe a knot inside the mast in the halyard? Hits the exit block at the mast base?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the halyard itself. It could be swollen or frayed causing a hangup. Also the boltrope in the sail could be damaged and getting caught in the mast opening. If you have a sail feeder, take it off. Try physically feeding extra sail into the track and pushing it up the mast. Cleaning and lubricating the track with silicone or dry lube can also make things much easier. Also check the track for damage.

Other things, make sure the downhaul is disconnected. Watch for batten ends getting caught under the tiller crossbar.

On another note, you should put tape over your spreader ends. Otherwise the cotter pins will shred your jib.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to add to what srm said, I'd check the sail track on the mast. I wonder if the track isn't pinched in at the point the sail gets stuck. If the boat was ever trailered without a proper mast cradle, it's very possible that the sail track got pinched at about that point. Sail track lube/silicone should help too, just don't use anything with an oily residue. Check the sheaves at the top and bottom, those could be worn and causing friction... mine didn't even spin when I got my boat!

Another option would be to put the mast on saw horses supported just above & below the diamond wire attachment points and try to "raise" the sail on the ground, and see if you can figure out what the hang-up point is.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i use stick wax from the hardware store to rub into the sides of the bolt rope. one or 2 applications early in the season seems to last for quite awhile.
I would look for "Stresses" in the bolt rope as you are raising the sail. Wherever the sail is "catching" it should be tight above and loose below. Inspect Everything! the track, the bolt rope, the seams in the sail, the halyard. it doesn't take much, it seems to hang something up. sail alignment during hoist is important to an easy lift.
One member here reccomends cutting out the top 1 inch of the bolt rope to aid in latching and unlatching the hook. it seems to help. i periodically, use the cut out part to run up and down the track to check for tight spots. i have had tears in the sail around the bolt rope repaired and reinforced. the track seems wide enough to accomodate the extra layer of material.
I don't know if the sail "feeder" worked or not. I removed mine and don't really see a difference other than there is a bit more room to get the sail aligned. Leave everything else unsecured until sail is locked in, (out haul, down haul).
Seeing as how raising the sail happens as a series of "thrusts", anything can happen at anytime. inspect closely and often. 2 people for this helps a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

raisehull wrote:
I don't know if the sail "feeder" worked or not.

Sail feeder did not work. It was just another hangup point when raising and something extra to have to try to feed the bottom of the boltrope through when pulling on the downhaul. Take it off, put the screws back in to seal the holes, and toss it in the garbage.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just to double-check you've tried everything

From the link posted, I've found this very useful (and-or necessary) for ornery sails/masts
Quote:
The best way to feed the sail is to stand in front of the mast and reach around either side to "sandwich" the sail between two hands (above the feeder opening) and push the sail up the track. Pull with the halyard, only the slack created, then feed again. If the sail binds, lower slightly and begin feeding again. This technique can be done by one person, but is certainly easier with two working together. It is VERY important that the person on the halyard only pulls the slack up the mast and does not get ahead of the feeder.

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use dove bar soap to lube my sail up works like a charm and doesn't harm anything and it washes out the track also

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Due to the curvature in the mast, my International 14 buddies lay their boats down on the grass, and raise the main by hand feeding the bolt rope....and pulling the halyard.

So, with that though in mind, you may wish to lay the H18 on its side, and check very carefully if there is damage to the bolt rope slot.....see if anything is pinching.
While you are at it, clean out and silicone lube the track.

Once you've taken care of the problem, it should be easy.

Good winds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometimes my main sail seems to get stuck near the top but what happens is the halyard pulls out of the halyard slot near the base mast. :(

This happens when I hoist the sail and loosen tension just enough for the weight of the sail pulling down and halyard block at the base to "fall" out of alignment with that slot.

As I pull again, I jam that halyard line just outside of that slot about 9" above the mast base. Right by my feet yet out of view..... :?

Look down there and see if that is your problem too. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might also try, during the hoist, when it gets stuck, tie off the halyard to something, (keeping a LOT of tension on it), to hold the sail in place. Then go to the downhaul or whatever of the boltrope is still there, at the base of the mast, and pull down on it. Best would be to have a helper pull down while you stand back to look up. look for where the slack below the pinch is visible vs, being taught above it