Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Glad to see the forum is alive. I just got another old 18 for the Hilo side of the big Island after looking for a long time. A rare find. It's sort of stripped. No trap gear and I need other gear. too. I have an 18 in So Cal but had to settle for a 16 in Hawaii for the last 7 years. Shipping boats there is crazy money. I would like a more colorful main and may paint it Marine Blue. It's yellow like my 16 there but ones enough. I have begun going through it. First all new cables. Next collecting used gear I need like a plastic rudder. then fill any soft areas like the sitting decks. Will add carbon and glass inside, to brace the forward hulls. We have a pretty rough sea there. Might consider a brace between the bows if others recommend it. No visible cracks and don't want any. Often sail with 220 pounds of crew trapped out and outside the bay in up to 6 foot blown waves and cross swells so lots of bouncing about. A bit much for the 16. I have bought closed cell neopreme padding for the decks and will cover that with a thin traction layer. I an old man and like some padding for long days.
If you have a spare plastic rudder, colorful main, Harkin cleats, adjustable trap setups below the wire. A mast tip float might be a good idea too. I would be interested. Shipping to there is costly but I can haul lots in luggage. Aloha, Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try contacting Fei Ren at Surf City Catamarans - http://surfcitycatamaran.com/contact-us

She is selling off a lot of gear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aloha Steve! ebay is a great place to find a lot of used H18 parts for a decent price, and is especially helpful if you don't have a local hobie dealer.

The H18 is a pretty tough and sturdy boat, I don't think you'll need to do much for reinforcement unless it's it pretty poor condition already. I take mine in 6-8 foot waves on the great lakes regularly, and have never really had any trouble with it. Carbon & glass reinforcement and a bow brace seem like a bit of overkill, unless you know the boat already has structural issues. Soft spot repair is important, however, especially if you have any big ones. Plastic/lexan rudders will get you by, but fiberglass rudders would definitely give you more control of the boat in heavy conditions.

Just thought I'd give my thoughts. Hopefully parts like sails & rudders can be shipped to you without too crazy of an expense!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238