Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking for a 18 with sx wings, or 18sx or pearl( I know, I know wishful thinking right? :D ) I've placed wanted add in classifieds, figured I'd put the feeler here too. Realistic budget of almost 10k for dialed in boat, or I don't mind replacing sails, tramps or wing tramps. Thanks-Cody. Feel free pm here or [email protected]. Hoping to be on the water soon with my 2 sons

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Out of curiosity are you looking to race or just want a boat in great condition. Also where are you located? I recently found an early 90’s 18 with wings that has seen very little use. By no means perfect, but very solid for almost 30 years old. They are out there. Good luck.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking just to enjoy primarily. Would love any info that boat. I'm in NC but willing to travel or have shipped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Found a early 2000's actual SX. Wondering if the weight of taller mast makes solo lift impossible and the replacing of SX style sail complicates things down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own the perfect Hobie 18......;-). ;-). .....but it’s not for sale.
Enjoy my boats own Facebook page in the footer below.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Found a early 2000's actual SX. Wondering if the weight of taller mast makes solo lift impossible and the replacing of SX style sail complicates things down the road.

Longer masts are harder to lift. Some people are not strong enough to raise a standard H18 mast, and some people have no issues. How strong are you? Raising a H18 mast takes ~~average strength, so raising a SX mast takes slightly above average strength. Certainly not impossible to lift.

Replacing an SX sail shouldn't be too tricky. Used sails are less common, but is is just as easy to buy a new SX sail as a standard sail. Here is a commonly used source: http://www.whirlwindsails.com/hobie-18-sx-sails.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I'm a little over 6ft and 200lbs with physical job working in akward places and lifting. Should be good to go I hope. Deposit down and figuring logistics to get it here..fingers crossed .Was originally looking and content with a regular 18, stumbled across this one by accident. One owner, 2003, in really good shape! Can't wait , just need to find a Hobie enthusiasts local for a few lessons :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On my boats Facebook page I have one photo album of how best to raise the mast.

In addition to that, I highly recommend having the Hobie 20 style tiller cross bar connectors so you can easily remove the cross bar when raising and lowering the mast. This is NOT seen in the photo album as the photos are of a friends boat, not mine. Removing the cross bar during mast raising and lowering makes the step up and step down from the trampoline so much easier.

Enjoy

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cmd wrote:
I'm looking just to enjoy primarily. Would love any info that boat. I'm in NC but willing to travel or have shipped

Is there a service that ships small boats? Never heard of one, but it would be good to know my options.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

cmd wrote:
Thanks! I'm a little over 6ft and 200lbs with physical job working in akward places and lifting.

You'll have no trouble raising the mast. I am 5'9, 160lbs with a desk job working with akward people. I can raise my slightly extended 'standard' H18 mast with a big mast bob on top with only minimal grunting.

note: my modified H18 mast with bob goes on my H21SC. I would not recommend anyone put a big bob on a H18. That would be silly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used a website to have a boat towed across the country behind a pickup truck. Maybe uship.com or something similar. Was a smooth transaction.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California