Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was able to get this all setup some time ago, but was waiting until I had used it as intended to provide updates. Unfortunately, bad weather and bad scheduling means I haven't been able to sail since I set it up.

From the tests I have done, it looks promising, with an un-modification to the halyard hook. I tested the setup with about 10ft of shock cord tied to 10ft of poly line to simulate the sail. What i noticed is that as you hoist, some kind of action between the halyard and the ring causes the doubled halyard line to twist with itself, spinning the halyard ring toward the hook. On multiple tests (untied and straitened everything between tests), the halyard ring would spin 5-7 complete rotations, preventing the ring from reaching the hook.

Now, if you account for that and preload some twist into the lines simulating the sail, it works almost flawlessly. As expected, it doesnt feel like 2:1 when compared to the classic setup, likely due to the friction on the ring, but there is a very noticible, worth while difference. The other issue is where the un-modification comes in. Even when preloading the bungee line, the ring still tilted strongly into the hook, making it difficult/impossible to release since I had removed the flopper. I suspect when using the actual sail, the ring will act like the preloaded bungee, allowing the ring to tilt, but not completely spin. So I un-modified my flopper and put it back and everything works great (in tests).

Some notes about the flopper: I originally took it off because we never once got the hook engaged with it on. We couldn't feel or see the sweet spot. In the successful tests I did with the flopper back on with the 2:1, there is a pair of solid clicks that you can feel in the halyard as you reach the top. The first is going over the hook, the second is going over the flopper. I don't find it necessary or even helpful really, but there is also a click when lowering as the ring falls off the hook/flopper. This makes the flopper SUPER easy and foolproof to use.

Overall, I'm happy with the change, as long as no problems pop up when using the sail. That being said, unless you have problems hoisting your sail (like me), or have other benefits in mind, it may not be worth the cost and effort. Id also like to warn (with no real validating experiences or strength tests): This setup has the potential to easily place excessive force on the head of the mainsail. I could see how the mainsail binding or catching somewhere could rip the head right off. I may be overly cautious here, but perform this mod at your own risk of mainsail decapitation.

Right now, my boat is securely tarped with 3 tarps and about 20 lines, so I don't have pics. I do plan to give it a good scrub down before storing for the winter, so I'll try to remember to get pics then if I don't get another chance to sail this year.

-Kyrle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I came across a main that was hard to raise on a scow. It turns out it was the layers of sail cloth used to reinforce the head. The whole reinforced head area would want to rotate and wedge in the mast track half way up. Once I trimmed off a 1/4" of triangular points at the bottom of all the head reinforcing layers, by the bolt rope, the problem went away. That little triangle was hard to find but it was dark gray from getting wedged.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Kyrle,
My next suggestion is to get your sail loft to fit a new luff tape and bolt rope. Over time (about three years) the luff tape and bolt rope and sail body stretch and shrink at different rates and get out of sync. After many years (5+) they are totally out of sorts. A new luff tape and bolt rope re-set with your sail will greatly help your problem and eliminate any need for a 2:1 system and eliminate the need for any silicone or Teflon spray.

A new luff tape and bolt rope will also give your sail a new lease of performance life.

Enjoy.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MY older SX Main gets very hard to pull when near the top, but like yours, it comes down very easily. I've repeatedly cleaned the sail track, and use teflon spray on the sail track, bolt rope, and pulleys.
For comparison, I hoisted a regular 18SE sail on the same mast, which raises so easily it feels like a different boat.

I added a pulley to the system, that is so simple to install and use that you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Since I upgraded the mainsheet pulley system long ago, I'm using an original boom block, but a smaller Laser boom block also worked.

Install a common snap hook to the 'base' end of the pulley, hook this to the center lacing, then with the halyard fed through this, you can raise the sail while comfortably standing on the ground in front of the crossbar, facing aft. The halyard line stays on the pulley all the time (knot in end is big enough to keep it in), so once the sail is up, unhook the pulley from the center lacing; it all stows in the tramp pocket easily.
I re-hook the pulley to center lacing when lowering the sail, if I'm standing in front again, so that the halyard leads to me correctly.

If you have to raise the sail while you're on the tramp (i.e. while on the water), installing a second pulley would reverse the pull direction to the rear, as well as adding even more purchase.

Standing in front while lowering has another advantage, if you prefer to roll the sail as it is being lowered (usually involves crew help);
Lower a section of sail, then use the 'Foot Cleat' * to hold the sail from dropping while you roll. This frees both hands for rolling.

Although this was 'treating the symptom rather than finding a cure', it actually turned out to be a cure (to another problem that I didn't know I had), as standing in front is so much more comfortable.

* 'Foot Cleat' - standing on the halyard while it lays on the ground. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a box of wax bars from the hardware store 20 years ago. i apply the wax, rubbing it onto and into the bolt rope, 1-2 times a season. Seems to work as good as anything.