Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it safe to add wings?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I'm considering to purchase a second hand hc18 in very good conditions with many part replaced.
The cat was originally without wings and they were bought and mounted afterwards.
I've read, just on this forum, that the version of hc18 with wings had a reinforcement on the hulls under the crossbar with thicker fiberglass.
So i was wondering if it is safe to mount wings on a hc18 that has not this reinforcement.
Is there a risk of damaging the boat using the wings on a hc18 that doesn't come out of the factory without wings?
Thanks, Any experience is welcome.
I'm in Italy and this is the ad:

https://www.subito.it/nautica/catamaran ... 741009.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure how much first-hand feedback you will get from this forum since it is primarily used by people in the US and you’re situation applies to a European boat. The manufacturing history/process was different between the two regions. In the US, the problem years were during the early to mid 1980’s. Hobie 18’s built during that time were prone to failures. But that likely doesn’t apply to European built boats.

I think the most important thing would be to inspect the crossbar/wing attachment areas for signs of failure. This would include looking up under the lip where the deck joins to the hull for signs of cracking. That is how the hulls fail. A crack forms under the lip where the crossbar brackets attach (both on the inboard and outboard sides of the hull). That crack extends and eventually the side of the hull collapses in. Note that hairline cracks in the gelcoat are normal in this area. Structural cracks will be noticably larger and more pronounced.

Also check the hulls for soft spots. Soft spots could lead to hull failure on any age boat.

If there are no cracks and no soft spots, then the boat is probably fine to sail with wings. If there are cracks or soft spots, the boat shouldn’t be sailed until they’re fixed. You can also ask the seller how long he’s had the wings. If the boat’s been used with wings for several years without issue, then that would be another indication that it’s probably fine.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Not sure how much first-hand feedback you will get from this forum since it is primarily used by people in the US and you’re situation applies to a European boat. The manufacturing history/process was different between the two regions. In the US, the problem years were during the early to mid 1980’s. Hobie 18’s built during that time were prone to failures. But that likely doesn’t apply to European built boats.

I think the most important thing would be to inspect the crossbar/wing attachment areas for signs of failure. This would include looking up under the lip where the deck joins to the hull for signs of cracking. That is how the hulls fail. A crack forms under the lip where the crossbar brackets attach (both on the inboard and outboard sides of the hull). That crack extends and eventually the side of the hull collapses in. Note that hairline cracks in the gelcoat are normal in this area. Structural cracks will be noticably larger and more pronounced.

Also check the hulls for soft spots. Soft spots could lead to hull failure on any age boat.

If there are no cracks and no soft spots, then the boat is probably fine to sail with wings. If there are cracks or soft spots, the boat shouldn’t be sailed until they’re fixed. You can also ask the seller how long he’s had the wings. If the boat’s been used with wings for several years without issue, then that would be another indication that it’s probably fine.

sm

Thank you very much sm,
about soft spot, that's the first thing I check and if i find them i just skip purchasing the boat, any boat, with or without wings.
I'm not sure i understood what are the lips you are referring to, would be possible for you to post a picture, a drawing or something?
The selller just mounted the wings bran new, original hobiecat, last year, and he used them very little, maybe just few weeks.