Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Compadres,

I cover my Hobie 18 with an "economy one-piece" polyvinyl cover from Murrays to keep the sun off. The cover uses a lot of nylon straps to tie it on. I added plastic buckle clips in some locations to speed the process, but knowing y'all I figured someone has come up with something even better. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the universal cover from Hobie, probably similar to the one from Murrays. The ties are a bit of a chore, buckles are a pretty clever alternative! I might have to do something similar with mine, as the ties tend to get really tight after a windy afternoon and can be tough to untie. Only potential issue I see with buckles is the potential to wear on the hull, but if you keep them tight it may not be an issue.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I worried about the buckles rubbing, but not a problem after five years. The buckles have a bit of curve to them, and that helps. But they don't work on tighter angles, like the last three towards the bow. I tie those by hand. Also, I don't cinch them too tight, just enough to keep the cover from flapping. It stays on at the lake all summer.

A bigger problem is that the straps are a bit thin for the standard buckle to grip, and don't hold tight unless the strap is fairly straight. I just ordered these buckles for a new season, and they come with little keepers that I think will help with that. Plus they'll take up some of the loose end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The other aspect that always fail with the standard covers are the self-adhesive velcro strips to join areas that have been cut for shrouds, wings, etc. I resorted to using stainless steel staples (from the inside of the tarp) to hold the velcro strip in place.

I don't have the tie-down issue as I keep my Getaway on a float with lines run from cleats on the float. However, for tiedown you could possibly try clips like https://www.amazon.com/tarp-clips/s?k=tarp+clips. Hope this works for you.