Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch cover replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased the Hobie screw in hatch covers to replace my original rope cover model. The mounting holes do not line up with the original holes in the hulls. Does anyone know if they should or am I to drill six new holes?

Thanks.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same issue when I replaced the inspection hatch covers on my '79 HC-18 this passed spring. The fastener holes did not line up. I looked like the hole circle was slightly smaller on the original cover. I chose to rotate the new hatch and drill new holes; centered between the original holes. I filled the original holes with epoxy filler before installing the new hatch. This strengthens the surrounding fiberglass and seals edges from moisture. The new screw-on cover hatches don’t have the strain on them that the original pull-off rope hatches did so that should be fine. Make sure you have a good clean sealing surface and caulk the hatch flange with a good marine adhesive caulk or RTV. I used 3M 5200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant. A good set on instructions for installing a NEW deck port is located at http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=29&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 This includes locating and cutting a new hole, which is more then you need, but the information about mounting, sealing and drilling the holes for the deck cover flange is very thorough. Good Luck.

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Thanks for the info. I did fill in the old holes and rotated the new covers to an alternate location. No more leaking from the hatch covers. After 1 month of sailing and a few rain storms, I have had only 1 or 2 teaspoons of water in one hull. I can handle that.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We are going to seal out porthole rings as they leak. We think we can caulk them with marine sealant inside of the hull....and around the outside.

Are there any other ideas we should consider? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If they are the old style with rope for a handle, then sealant in or out won't stop all the leaks as water wicks through the rope and into the hull. I would replace the old hatch covers, clean the surface good and use a marine sealant. The new covers come with new rivets for each hatch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To come back to this. I'm just redoing my 18 after it's been sitting in my back yard for 10 years since my son left home. I am replacing the old rope pull hatch covers with screw in ones. I note the old hatches have what look like some kind of rivets as opposed to screws. Is the only way to get the old cover ring off to drill these out? The new cover holes seem at first glance to match the old hole positions but now how and with what should I attach them, I couldn't find any videos on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to replace the pop in hatches for my 18 which has been sitting in the back yard since my son left home over 12 years ago. I got 2 crew in hatches and I think the holes align. However how do I deal with the old hatch rings which seem to have plastic 'rivets' rather than screws. Do I drill them out and then replace with what?