Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I have a new to me H18 Magnum from '86

The wings are in generally good shape, though I noticed some corrosion around the rivets especially on the fore wings. I'm not sure if this is just use related cracking with then corrosion, or if something was wearing that area.

Any suggestions for keeping that area from progressing to failure? I'm now going to be using it in salt water some, so the corrosion if anything will go up.

trying to post a pic, cant get img to work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CoSAJrQanqG4pb8cA

thanks Ben

Last edited by skinnydoc on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

anyone?

This seems like a critical repair if I'm going to use the wings, which is a big selling point for this boat.

I drilled out the rivets on one of these, and the casting wont budge at all... must be all corroded in, and I've heard this is a difficult situation.

My options that I thought of:

1) take it to an aluminum TIG welding place and have someone figure out a sleeve type welded-on stiffening aluminum sleeve. Would be a permanent change but since joint is frozen probably ok.

2) Use a cut section of Laser mast and rivet it on as a sleeve to support the joint. The rivets seem to have been partly to blame for the electrical oxidation / corrosion, or is that a mistaken assumption?

3) same as 2 but use a marine grade adhesive to sister up the laser mast sleeve. This is somewhat appealing bc seems like it would have a little flex built into it, and could be conceivably removable.

Thoughts??

thanks

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Ben, I’m not familiar with the wings but I am familiar with corrosion. When the boats were originally built there was no corrosion inhibitor applied between any stainless steel and aluminium. This was to save time and money at the time of production. You now have to refurbish your parts as a result of that. I recommend removing all the rivets and disassemble all the parts, clean with a scotchbrite scourer and then apply either Duralac or Tef-Gel before re-assembly. Try and use Monel or Aluminium rivets where possible as they will corrode less than the stainless steel rivets in any aluminium parts. Also make sure that there are drain holes in any of these tube assemblies so water cannot sit inside (out of sight) and fester away with internal corrosion. A simple 1/4” or 5/16” hole in the end of many parts prevents the build up of salty water during storage. A light wire brush on any casting components also helps remove any surface corrosion prior to reassembly. A final option is to also have the parts anodised again. I do this with all my Reimagined Hobie 18’s. It is not as expensive as you might think and a newly anodised 25 year old part can look almost new again and it will also prevent further corrosion in the future. I recommend clear/silver anodising so it doesn’t scratch as easily or get too hot to handle in the sun. Enjoy your restoration work.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the tips. I couldnt get the castings out of the end of the tubes. corroded in there.

So I opted for a fairly janky repair. I took an old laser mast and fashioned longer supporting sleeves that I then slipped over the casting and tube, and riveted on, with aluminum rivets.

I put a ton of anti corrosive paste in the sleeve before applying. Not an amazing repair, but something to start.

I think it will provide some support of these joints.

Yes I agree with the drainage. I drilled 1/4" holes in the castings to allow drainage and threaded them so that I can not take on water when out sailing, with a nylon thumbscrew in place. I need to still put some other holes up on the tubing, to allow me to run some fresh water into the framework after sailing, in the hopes of flushing out the salt.

Soon I'll have my maiden, without the wings to start. I ordered wing tramps from SLO Sails and waited a good month to get them, and just found out I have the extra big (?sx) wings, not the standard. so the mesh tramps from SLO are useless! No returns I'm sure. Anyone want to buy a set of black mesh tramps for standard size wings?

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't be too sad about having the SX wings. They are way better than the magnums. That extra space behind the crossbar is very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good to hear.

I’m super stoked to get out. Just mourning the extra cash and time it will take to get the right tramps!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Five years ago, in a race, we were hit with a strong gust AND a 40 degree wind shift, and over we went.

I did not realize it at the time - water had entered the stern wing support tube, and stayed there.
That winter, (we park our boats outside, under a tarp), the temps often went below -20C.

The next season, the stern wing support tube collapsed, and later, I determined that the freeze-thaw cycle had killed the bottom of the stern leg support.
Thank goodness for Fogh Marine and Hobie, I had a new part delivered within 3 weeks.

A drain hole is essential, as is anti-corrosion compound.

I miss my old H18SX, and I love my H16.

Sail safe.