Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epic sail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took my 18SX out Saturday and had a blast with a light crew (300lb total weight). The wind was pretty steady around 13-15mph and I was running the helm while trapped out and my crew was sitting on the seat. We were totally dialed in and could fly a hull at will. :lol: There is no better feeling than being trapped out off of the wing seat while flying a hull. The people on the mono-slugs we passed standing still were mesmerized.

While blasting along out on the wire it struck me, this boat is awesome, why is it not made anymore? :( Or better yet, why was there not enough demand to keep Hobie making it? I hope Hobie keeps making parts for it so I can continue to enjoy it.

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is our 2nd summer with a '97 18SX after about 10 years with an aged 16.... Here's what's happened to us:

1. Our new third partner on the 18SX is the best H-16, and now H-18 helmsman around our area, and I am thrilled to be crewing in high wind, high wave situations. Without the SX, we would just be nodding acquaintenances, and I would be on the beach with our 16 and not out in the soup.

2. We've put 50 miles/day on her a few times...and never did that on the 16. Sailed 28 miles one way to Chicago, and them came back, all in 4 hours.

3. Got to communicate with Jack Flash, ncmdm, and others who are hot-rodding their SX's.

It is the greatest beach boat I know. Maybe the best trailer-able boat, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been sailing an 18 since 1983. Love the boat! Decided in 2000 to get back into racing with the spouse. Bought a 2001 Fox, wanted to step up from the 18. What a mistake that was. The Fox after 2 seasons on the beach blew up so out came the '81 18 out of storage. The '81 got t-boned at a regatta and was destroyed. Bought my current '82 18 mag and have now hot-rodded it. The Fox is a better sailing boat than the 18 but no where near as durable. None of the newer spin boats are really beach friendly but the 18 can take a licking and keep on ticking. The 18 is the best beach cat ever made and will always be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just my opinion but I think the introdtion of the jet ski took the intrest from the hobies - Too bad, the younger generation have no clue what the're missing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has been talked about alot before, I am younger and love sailing, spending most every weekend at the lake. But most of my generation is to lazy to get out and set up a boat all the time.

Like you said they do not know what they are missing but do not stereotype all of us younger guys. Who are you old men going to ask to help you set up your boats when you all are 80 if you are not nice to us now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The last youngster I took out cried because he was scared. I gave up on getting setup help years ago. The youth of today by and large are pathetically lazy.