Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After selling my H-18 in 1994, I had the dumb luck to stumble across it recently and bought it back!

Times have changed since my first H-16 in '79 and H-18 in '88, so I have a few questions for you more modern cat sailors. I've discovered this forum to have a wealth of info which I can utilize.

My H-18 was built in 1988, with the lighter hull process

I have noticed jib car systems mounted on the front crossbeam on newer models like the Tiger. Has there been a similar system designed for the H-18? Is it a better performer than stock?

this leads me the next question...
I want to put an asymetric Spinnaker/Screecher on the H-18. It seems the H-18SX had one? What are some recommendations for a sail, plus the hardware to launch/retrieve it? I've seen Hobie's offerings, who else makes Asymectric systems? Should you use the stock jib car/block to trim the asymetric? It looks like a good spot for it?

I also see the difference between wings from the Magnum vs. the SX, and I'd like to investigate Magnum wings as they are shorter, which is what I'd prefer. Outside of eBay or here, is there a good source.

The standing rigging is original, so I want to replace side stays, headstay and bridles. Is Hobie the best place for quality and price?

Thanks for your reply!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome back! I'll try to answer the questions I can and let others fill in the rest.

OlderBowman wrote:
I also see the difference between wings from the Magnum vs. the SX, and I'd like to investigate Magnum wings as they are shorter, which is what I'd prefer. Outside of eBay or here, is there a good source.

Try these:
www.thebeachcats.com/
www.catsailor.com/cs_classifieds.html
www.craigslist.org

OlderBowman wrote:
The standing rigging is original, so I want to replace side stays, headstay and bridles. Is Hobie the best place for quality and price?

Yes. On something like this I'd not be too concerned about price. Hobie's prices are very fair and you know you're getting the proper length and quality, which, to me, are more important than price. Besides, a Hobie dealer can ship the parts you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope your ready for this. Hobie has not updated the jib system, ever. The sx spin is a slow sail and was poorly designed. My 18 has been converted to run Tiger sails. I also have installed the tiger self tacking jib and spin system on my boat. I have magnum wings but rarely use them, they are not easy to find. Used Tiger parts are readily available and adapt nicely to the 18. I can answer direct questions for you as they come up if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your replies.

no, I'm not surprised there was never an upgrade to the H18 jib system.

so I could mimic the Tiger jib setup, a self tacking jib is not too important.

the 'generic' spin hdwr kit from Hobie is suitable, or is the Tiger version better or the same? suggestions on where to get an asymetric spin?