Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: no Wind Tips - please.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am now able to take the boat on the water and have SOME idea of what I am doing. Clearly not skilled, but not totally in the dark. As new things come up, your my answer man, errm men... ahhh, people.

I went out last Saturday and learned 2 important lessons.
#1 Get off the lake well before dark. Packing up to go home in the dark takes 3 times longer than in the light.

and

#2 in a VERY light wind situation, your headings are limited. The wind was really blowing early in the Am when I was out fishing, and even while I was rigging. But as SOON as I pushed off the wind stopped.

It is with #2 that I would like some insight (having figured out #1 all by myself). What adjustments can I make to get the most of a really light winds. It was so bad at times one or the other crew members could hop over board for a swim, no movement in the sails nor the tell tails. Literally, a pair of ducks were swimming in my sail shadow and looked annoyed when they would have to slow up for me (true story, my boy thought it was thing all weekend). We're talking from 0-5mph winds.

I understand I'm screwed at 0, but I have to imagine there are coves, inlets, cuts, or other times when the wind just dies that you have to limp in on low winds. So... what's a man to do? Other than lay on the bow and front crawl your way in (that just isn't dignified)?

and for the record, it was still a great day. We managed to find a beach and the wind picked up to ~5mph sustained maybe up to 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry a collapsible paddle on my Wave. In zero wind I can maintain 2 mph for a long, long time. It is easier to paddle than a canoe and not much more work than a kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lay on the bows and paddle it like a surf board. steer with your feet. you'll be amazed how fast you can go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, they are all telling you how to move in no wind,

But you can sail in light wind and still get somewhere, there have been times that I have been out and the water was almost glass but i was still able to move slowly.

Big thing is not to move much, if you get momentum don't move because that can ruin it, also I have a bad habit of over sheeting in light stuff. Don't sheet very hard and it will not make the sail as flat and to me feels like it creates slightly more power in the light stuff.
Also, get weigh forward on the boat, I follow this rule in any wind, but as it builds you have to move back, it keeps the sterns from dragging and allows for a little more speed.

That is about all the advice I have, make sure you have an ice chest and some cool drinks in it for those light days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

. . . and loosen the downhaul and outhaul to allow the sail to become fuller. Flat sails in heavy wind, full sails in light wind.

I still carry a paddle on board, and am not above laying down on the bow to paddle with my hands. If you feel you're being laughed at for this, then take it with stride, then fly a hull along the beach the next time to impress the chicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gree hit the big one's.

In light wind, it's less about adjustments, and more about boat handling.

Stay as still as possible.
Be very gentle with the tiller.
Don't over sheet the sails. (use tell tails)
Have a good wind indicator (cassette tape is best in really light stuff).
The stern should just touch the water.
Concentrate on maintaining boat speed (watch the bow ripple)
Constantly look around for puffs (watch for dark patches on the water, other boats, etc)

sm

Post subject: most important
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is said that anyone can sail when there's wind, but it takes a genius to sail without it.

I suggest you flag down a power boat to bring you beer and enjoy the float.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I loose my freakin mind in light air. :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :!: :( :o :lol: :shock: :D :P :? :oops: :roll: :wink: :cry: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if you have the opportunity before leaving the beach, make the mainsail battens a little tighter for the light air. the increased camber of the sail will help create power in it.

like the others said, a light touch, ease the sails a bit, and quiet with the movement onboard.