Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prebend in 18SX mast
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone tried to create prebend in their mast, toward the luff track. I keep tightening and at this point don't seem to be inducing the bend I want. I'm concerned if I continue to tighten I will pull the wires off the mast. Spreaders are raked back but still she doesn't want to bend back. Tigers, Fox, FX1 have the lower diamond attachment on the front off the mast and the SX has them centered on each side like a standard 18, is this my problem? Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Because your diamond wires terminate on the sides of the mast, it will not bend. You'll have to move the diamond terminations to the front of the mast on the bottom.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trey, you got any ideas on how to do this. I have a turnbuckel that came with the Fox. How could I take the existing wires and join them? Or will I need new custom wires? Maybe I should just look for a used F18 mast, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you adding an aftermarket sail?

In another post Trey nailed the prebend question regarding Tigers:

Quote:
While adding prebend may depower the boat past a given point, it is important that you prebend your mast to correctly fit your sail. If the mast bend isn't concurrent to the cut of the sail, then you will not achieve optimum power and shape from your sail. Your best bet here is to find someone who knows what to look for in sail shape and reaction and get them to help you out in person. Good luck...

PS: the same rules also apply for diamond tension. Less diamond tension doesn't necessarily mean you'll be faster in lighter winds...

Is the purpose to tune your mast to the sail? Not sure what the motive is on the SX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My SX runs a Tiger main, self-tacking jib and chute. Getting a weird backwind issue near the luff low in the main which keeps the inside tell-tale disturbed. Especially noticeable in light air. Rotating the mast helps, extra downhaul helps, but not in the light stuff where the sail should be full. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OOOHHHH. Now I get it. Cool!

I had that problem on my FX. Prebend helped. At first, I thought that since I was heavy, I'd run with a straight mast, but I could never get the tells to fly on the upper luff. Sounds like the same deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was able to get prebend in my SX mast. To increase prebend with out cranking diamonds change your spreaders to Tiger or similar design that allows furhter rear sweep then stock SX spreaders. With the spreaders swept further back I don't see why you would have to change the anchor point of diamonds. Having said that, I have been able to prebend my mast to match my custom square top with out changing spreaders, but I do have some serious tension cranked on them.