Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can see that it's a good load carrier for a couple guys and their stuff...but where would you put it? The Hatches are too small for drybags.

Has anyone added hatches that would allow drybags--or is it stupid to do so? While discussing stupid or potentially stupid things...

1. Has anyone put a front tramp on their H 18 like the Getaway or the H21SC? Would either work?
2. How are the wings for cruising?
3. Anyone reefed their main? For racing and dysailing I'd flatten it and travel down, but for cruising a reef sounds like a seamanlike option.

Feel free to comment or even tell me I'm silly--but at least tell me why.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you give us an idea of where you'll sail, for how long, and how many other boats and of what kind you'll be with? The 18 is a formidable boat able to take a lot of abuse, and recently I had an email conversation with a Southern Californian who related sailing from Malibu to Twin Harbors on Santa Catalina island on three occasions, which if you're interested I could send to you.

Read this story of two guys who sailed around the Baja California peninsula for an idea of what to expect: http://www.hobiehawk.com/BajaAdv.html

Post subject: Cruising
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

A front tramp is not good for cruising. They catch too much water and can flip the boat.

The wings are GREAT!

You can load dry bags through the ports. Slide the bag in first and then stuff it. I did this with garbage bags years ago.

We sailed from Marina Del Rey California to Catalina Island. Then from there to Dana Point and one more leg to San Diego. I also know a guy who sailed from San Diego to Cabo... well close to Cabo, they broke up the 18 in surf the last launch.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: H18 cruising
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have sailed beachcats for about 6 years, but am new to the H18 and powerful beachcats in general. I love kayaking and have really enjoyed taking a one week trip a year to places like the Apostle Islands, Georgian bay, the Everglades and so forth. I just love taking one week + trips and would like to do the same under sail. I built a Hawaiian outrigger sailing canoe with that idea in mind and have been having a blast using it, but the open cockpit is a liability in heavier conditions. I was thinking of using the H 18 for essentially the same purpose but for two rather than one kayak per person. I was thinking that the H 18 seems like a good load carrier with the pictures of four people aboard. With two and gear the load ought to be the same. I don't presently have wings and was thinking of modifications that seem like they are in use in other Hobies. The wings seem like the best option, but nearly double the price I paid for the boat! If coastal cruising the necessity of reducing sail if cought in a situation seems prudent too. Anyone done that? Obviously I could furl the jib as a first reef. The idea of loading the bags through the hatch is a good one. I think some of my stuff would fit in it without even stufing it, but other drybags would need to be loaded like Matt suggests. I suppose a pair of big drybags could be lashed to the tramp near the mast on either side as well. I'll have to investigate how to pack. I think I'll have to check that this coming Spring.

I have an urge to build Gary Dierking's Easy Rider as a double outrigger or a Double canoe as an option if the Hobie proves less than desirable. I also read an article about a couple cruising a rotomoulded 16' cat rigged catamaran and clearly the Hobie 18 has more capacity. I'm pumped about this!

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've only done day trips. The wings will keep you dryer and sitting up which is more comfortable.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: H18 Cruising
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brian Joder's Baja Adventure (see link above) is one of the better 'cruising' stories.
Another is the 'North West Passage' H18 adventure, which took them two seasons to get through the Canadian Arctic. (Had to be flown in/out at the end of the first season.)
Another is the trans-Atlantic H18 voyage, east to west, where they were lucky to survive.

If someone can post a link to the 2nd and 3rd stories, that would be great.

I've also heard of a Brazilian who started off sailing south from Chile, did Cape Horn, and now wants to continue by sailing around the world! I seem to recall he built a modified H18 or H20, using carbon fibre.

1. You can easily furl the jib, that's why it was made that way.
2. Releasing the main traveler has such a huge effect that you may not need to reef. My understanding is that in theory and with experienced crew, the H18 can sail in winds up to 30 knots, gusting 35.
Anything over 20 probably means that stuff is going to break.

Jacques B, Matt M, MBounds, KarenX, BrianJ, any comment on maximum winds, sustained and/or gusts for H18, H20 or Tiger, which might be used as comparisons?

The real problem is surf or waves, and the resulting exposure.
How is your endurance? Level of fitness? Will you be using wet suits or dry suits? Do you really want to sail at this level? 10 or 15 years ago, I used to try it, not any more, as I like to sail 'flat' these days. I prefer to do my swimming in a pool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Polar Passage Expedition
http://www.helmdesign.com/polar-01.html

Across the Atlantic on an Open Hobie 18 Catamaran
http://gisc.ie/glenans-sc/content/view/118/84/lang,en/

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

Post subject: coastal cruising
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Essentally I'm looking to do via cat what so many do with kayaks. Daysail to a new location and overnight camp in new locations. Rounding Cape Horn isn't in the plan. Rounding Cape Sable in the Fl everglades might be.

Stowing gear and staying under control are more important considerations since I'll be getting off the boat each evening. Finding suitable areas to cruise and land are part of the fun of planning these types of trips.

In kayaks, I've cruised the Georgian bay area up by Killarny, the Apostle Islands, and some Florida barrier islands. The same type of cruising grounds should be available for Cats...

Dan

Post subject: Re: coastal cruising
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dstgean wrote:
Essentally I'm looking to do via cat what so many do with kayaks.

Well, shoot. How hard can it be then? Load your stuff in dry bags, lash the bags to the boat, and go. Ask around for a good checklist of safety gear (lights, flares, radio, etc.) and try it out on small excursions and build your experience.

If you're carrying a lot of stuff on the tramp then I could suggest a jib block upgrade to Oxen Blocks, since these blocks will allow you to work the jib even if the jib sheet runs over your stuff. On Catsailor.com in the Hobie 16 Forum is a fellow's recount of his 7-day adventure sail. Go here: THE FULL LAKE AMISTAD ADVENTURE REPORT

Post subject: cruising
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The last story is much more up my alley :)

Those first two stories are hair raising.

Post subject: Texas 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any idea how the H 18 might work for the shallow waters of the South Texas ICW? I'm deliberating going to the Texas 200 and bringing either my Outrigger or my H18. The Daggers seem potentially problematic, although it looks like a reach/run where the boards could be raised. 15-18 knots is usual for that stretch and time of year, so I was thinking of adding a reef to the main for sedate cruising.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There was a post a while back from a guy who sails his H18 with the boards removed all the time. he claims minimal problems other then water shooting up through the dagger trunks if he got up to any speed.