Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am curious if anyone has any input on the right downhaul for my '82 h18?
I was thinking about putting the 8:1 downhaul on but several people have told me that it is overkill and that the 5:1 is plenty and easier to install.Just wondering if anyone knows during a race if I run the 8:1 with only 2 sheaves is it legal that way.I dont want to spend more money than I have to.
I also would like some input on main block systems ,I am running the stock
blocks right now.I have a harken 5:1 set from my h16 which has a triple 3" with a beckett for an upper.I was thinking about putting this upper with the stock triple lower ,attaching a micro on the beckett and ending above the
clamcleat on the lower.I am just wondering which attachment point on the
boom to use if I go this route.Also wondering if this setup will be too long
if I rake the mast back at all.
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks Shawn
h18 #8211 [email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shawn,

Eight to one downhaul is class legal on the 18, although, I'd agree it may be overkill. We used it on our 18 and could get the main as tight as a drum skin :shock: It's very easy to create a cascading system with simple single and double blocks and v cleats. (Do a search on this forum, it's been discussed)

More bang for your effort will be upgrading the main blocks. Use the triple for the upper but add the smaller block on your lowers, similar to this
If I remember correctly, attach to the center bail of the boom, you want forward pressure on the boom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, i use the stock 78' H18 main sheet system with new line. am i living in the old school or does this setup work just fine for casual sailor/competitive sailor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

shawn i used the 5:1 for the down haul on my 18 never needed more than that. as for the main sheet i used the newer 6:1 set up tripple on top and bottom hooked up on the middle mast tang of the old set. If your going to go with a square top main then you'll want 8:1 and a loose footed main/boom. remember if you upgrade to 8 to 1 you have to move more sheet to get the same affect.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject: reply to rich and all
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks so much that is what i needed to know.Sure is a nice site here,You all are a wealth of knowledge.Think I will go with the 5:1 downhaul and what the hell I'm gunna order a new low-profile carbine harkin lower block(8:1).Guess I will run a seperate traveler line so I can use my mainsheet,I just replaced it last fall.(got to measure it ,might be to short even if I run seperate traveler sheet).Sooner or later I will put square top sails on although my 18 was bought new in 82 and sailed 8 times then stored indoors till i got it last september,my sails are like new still.
Thanx again shawn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

A quick way to install a downhaul system on a H-18 is to take the pin out of the halyard pulley at the mast base, install a 1/4 pin "deep shackle". On this shackle you install your bottom block. and you hang/tie another block at the foot of the mainsail through the grommet. Depending on the ratio you want you pick the # of sheeves in the blocks. If the top (tied to the sail) is a triple the bottom requires a double. You will need to install an Exit block w/ camcleat on each side of the mast. If you are sailing a magnum install them higher up on the mast so you can cleet/release them.

The main sheet "stack" pictured above is a 7X and is the ratio preferred for a standard H-18 sail. Try rigging that little single pulley , on the bottom triple, across/sideways (90' to that pictured). You need to "play" with the line path through the pulleys but there is a solution that has NO crossed lines. The way pictured requires one line cross. When I fiquire out how to post a picture I'll show you my mainsheet stack. I have angled my aft boom becket and hang the stack there, I want a little more "push " on the boom to induce mast rotation. I preferr the Lewmar products because of the camcleet adjustment, but they are pricey. I haven't tried the newer Harken "Carbo" products yet.

Note: A square top main is NOT class legal for HCA racing. And it has been my personal observation that the quality of the "Hobie Factory ' sails is EXCELLENT. ( For many years I would not have said that ) But if you do want a "sq top" you may want a 8x mainsheet stack, so as to be able to control the leech Open/Closed. You will need to increase the downhaul Xs also. I have this installed on my other boat ( a manufacture I will not mention here ).

I hope my experience and ideas help.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject: FYI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, your sails. Please take a look at the 08' H-18NAs results. Take a look at the third place finishers sail #. They used a origonal sail w/ oigonal #s .... #1400 made 1978-79' (we believe). They had been in "dealer stock", new and unused. We found them several years ago, so older sails can still be good. They did have a new jib ...

If you don't believe me ask Mr Stephen Cooley, he placed 2nd !!! (excellent job sir!!!).

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11