Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used to use the bungee type righting system as well but as you stated, it is very hard to reach the line when standing on the bottom hull (I'm 6-1) and in my case anyway, it always got hung up on the wing tabs (I have a Magnum) and was very hard to deploy. I ended up going throwing the bungee system away and bought a used water ski handle with a sufficient amount of rope tied to the dolphin striker. I simply tuck the handle and loose rope into one of the sewn on tramp bags.

If I go out solo, I take along a righting bucket to give me the extra weight needed to pull the boat back over. I weigh 220 lbs so 3 or 4 gallons of water usually does the trick. You couldn't pay me enough to install the shroud extenders!

Tom
H18 Magnum

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RobBartz wrote:
Regarding sailing the 18 Solo and righting after a capsize:

I recently purchased the mama-bob and power righting pole. I'm also going to drill out, silicone caulk, and re-rivet the top mast casting to make it waterproof. Can a person using these two aids, flip the boat solo? Do I also need the elastic cord that is being discussed here in this topic?

I've never capsized any hobie, but is there a danger of getting clobbered by the airborne hull when the boat flips?

Thanks for any advice.

The mama bob will prevent a turtle, which may be good or bad, but it will not help with righting. If anything it will make the boat harder to right because of its weight at the very end of the stick. The righting pole is a very useful tool. I use the stretch righting system as a chicken wire or preventer when on the wire. Good crew can hold us both on the boat while standing on the nose, avoiding a pitchpole, by wrapping it around their free hand.