Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveler Bearings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at rebuilding my H18 traveler car and making new bearings from delrin / celcon (Acetal Copolymer). A few posts that I have read recommend using two ball type of bearings, to make the traveler move easier, rather than the original(?) slider and ball configuration. Is the traveler supposed to have some friction so that it does not move too fast? I think that there may be a presumption that the ball will roll in the groove when this is not possible due to the pin going thru the bearing being oriented the wrong way, making it impossible to roll. It would seem to me that if one were to use two ball type bearings that there would be a greater chance of damaging / bending the groove due to the load being centered at the diameters of the bearing at only one point (tangency). My rear cross beam traveler groove / channel is approximately 3/4 (.750) inch inside diameter. I measured this with a spring caliper and a vernier caliper. With the slider type of bearing, the load is distributed across the full length of the slider (31/32 inch)and it would seem that the ball bearing's purpose is to keep the slider aligned straight in the groove so that it does not bind / stick. My point being, I believe that the original bearing / slider design is good and only requires some clearancing in the form of a radius along the length of the slider. Anyhow, I am going to make mine like that and I will let you know. Any comments?

Regards, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Kieth
I just bought the hobie rebuild kit for my boat and they gave me two of the cylinder bushings and no ball.Apparently they slide easier in the groove due to more surface area that slides.The hobie dealer told me this is the way to go,and like you said those balls dont actually roll anyway.
shawn
82 H18 #8211
div 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you want to save some R&D time I have already done what you have proposed. Listed them on E-Bay again today.
Or, contact me directly if you don't like to use E-Bay.

eBay Motors: Hobie 18 Delrin Traveler Rebuild Kit (item 190213497103 end time Apr-19-08 07:34:54 PDT)

Stephen
H-18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you get the new ball type bearings they move easily under load. I found that the slug type provide too much friction and do not move easily. I wouldn't worry about the ball type bearings causing more stress on the crossbar than the slug bearings. They are made from delrin and will break before bending or warping the metal in the cross bar.
Personally I like the ball type, and Stephen has some great reproductions.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stephen has very good reproduced traveler balls for the Hobie 18. I have purchased some from him. They match the one new OEM ball that I have within 0.001" diameter. I haven't tried them yet because the water just became a fluid state from the solid state and is very cold.

I just wonder why Hobie Cat hasn't gone out and modified the process to make (turn) them up for its dealers. My guess is it isn't worth the pain for the $$.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have also ordered stephens setup.I had no idea that hobie had run out of the ball type bearing.As I stated above they gave me two of the slugs in my
rebuild kit.
Do you recommend using both ball type bearings or should I set the traveler
up like it came from the factory with one of each?I rarely slide my traveler
more than 10 inches either direction anyway but that will change if I put
a spin up front.With a spinnaker up wont that load the traveler up with a lot more pressure?
shawn
82 h18 #8211
div3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi.
Thank you for all of the posts and help. I just wanted to say that I have also ordered Stephen's rebuild kit. Thank you Stephen. Since I am new to catamarans and have not sailed in a lot of years, I just want to put my newly acquired H18 back as close to original so that I can sorta kinda get a feel for it, relative to the original instructions. And, it would take me about an hour to tool up and reproduce what Stephen has already done, on my lathe. And I do not have the exact dimensions of the original equipment since my traveler is worn out. I will set my traveler up with the slide and ball type of set up originally supplied. My H18 needs repairs which I am currently working on. I am anxious to get it on the water. I am clearing out the garage so that I can get it inside to do some fiberglass repair. Too cold outside yet for it to cure.
Thanks again, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shawn if you put i spin up front you will be using the traveler less. You will only want to dump about 6 inches off the traveler as you move the apparent wind back on the sail and raise the hull. The double barrel traveler will work fine for that.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shawn and Keith

Your Traveler Rebuild Kits went in the mail this morning, along with my checks to the IRS and State Department of Revenue.

Mailing your kits made THAT trip to the Post Office a little more bearable.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For what it is worth, I have been using the two "ball" setup for many many years and have never had a problem.

Using the factory "ball and barrel" setup made the traveler slide with a bit of reisitance that was a bit annoying in light air conditions.

Since a lot of our racing here in Colorado is in light wind conditions I have always been a fan of the two ball setup.

I also do a fair amount of racing in other areas of the country in wind conditions that I would describe in a couple of instances as "survival sailing" and have never had any problem, or had any reason to wish I had gone back to the "ball and barrel" or "ball and slider" setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Perfect Stephen thanks alot.I'm in the process of replacing every delrin bushing on the boat.It is in great shape but I want everything pristine.Just got my outhaul car rebuild kit today and that is the last sliding surface
bushing that I had left once I install your bushings.I hate sloppy loose rigging,plus I dont want to get surprised on the water.I do my share of big wind sailing 20-30 mph when I can con someone to go with me,HAHA.Thanks again for the product and quick shipping.
Shawn
[email protected]
82 H18 #8211
Div 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stephen,

I'd be interested in ordering one of your traveler rebuild kits. Please reply with contact info.

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

nice handle greg, you might have to come to nor-cal to prove it.
just kiddn'
shawn, gofastshawn
82 h18 #8211
div 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

get ahold of stephen , I bought his setup and it is right on!!! No more slop and fast transfers.You won't go wrong.(thanx stephen).
shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greg,

Thanks for your interest. I relisted the sets on E-Bay. you can order them there, or E-Mail me directly @ MUST429 At AOL dot com.

Stephen