Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a C of G diagram for an outfitted PA from Hobie that is available to the public? Or does anyone know the ideal fore-aft weight distribution from a PA design perspective (ie. designed fore-aft C of G)? I've seen several videos where people state what they think versus what the physics would show. For example, some state to load your heavy batteries in the back "for stability reasons", but I do not see any mathematical justification. Consider my specific case: If I am 200 lbs and carry 25 lbs of gear behind the seat in a milk crate and have 12 lbs of kit in my bow storage, where should I place a 10-lb battery? I would think behind the front storage bin (below the vertical C of G point) or in the front storage bin itself would be better from a "design perspective" which considers how the kayak is intended to sit in the water. The moment (or torque) around the fore-aft C of G is: Torque = Force x Distance. Simply put, given a kayak that is perfectly balanced (fore-aft) in the water, if you add 10 lbs of weight two-feet aft of the C of G, then you could add 5-lbs of weight four-feet ahead of the C of G to re-balance the kayak. Simply adding more and more weight to the back of the kayak makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the PA has a 600# capacity, adding a 10# battery will go unnoticed :wink:

On my PA-14, I found that securing the battery to the sailing mast post behind the front storage bin is a easy location for service
if needed and is really out of harms way. That places it just ahead of the Mirage Drive well inside the hull.