Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering backwards
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took my Mirage Eclipse 12 out for the first time and was surprised to find that squeezing the right caliper resulted in a left turn and vice versa. I did have the board cables attached correctly to the handlebar cables. Looking inside the top of the rudder housing it would be simple enough to switch the cables but that would require crossing the bare cables which seems like it could cause friction leading to premature failure. What is the proper procedure to fix the problem? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Steering backwards
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The little block that the line exits from the board - that's held in place with a couple of screws - just back those out - and swap it around, easy fix. Sorry that you had that issue, it has happened to a couple boards in production, they are hand assembled, so it's a human error.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. I note that this repair also requires adjusting the cables since uncrossing the lines at the block lenghtens them a little. Also, connecting to the handlebars now requires connecting black to gray.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Adding this to an old string...

I just bought a used Eclipse 12, and the steering was backwards. Previous owner just got used to it. The block (on mine at least) has legs which support the pulley, then reach further to touch the bottom of the recess. The bottom of the recess is angled up toward the rear, and the legs on the block are longer at the front than the rear. Simply turning the block 180 degrees means the block doesn't sit correctly in the recess. I slid the color-coded plastic pieces off the ends of the lines, untied the loops and pulled the lines from the block. Then I oriented the block so the long legs were forward, brought the line from the left side of the board under the pulley then threaded it up through the right-side hole. Then the line from the right side of the board goes under the pulley and up through the left-side hole. Then I retied the loops, replaced the block in the recess being careful that the lines passed under the pulley correctly and replaced the screws. I slipped the colored plastic pieces back on the lines and reconnected the lines. Before the fix, the left line came directly from the board and up through the left-side hole in the block, similar for the right-side line, and not around the pulley. Once fixed, steering is correct and easier because of reduced friction.