Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fooled around with my Bixpy jet this past weekend. Since the Eclipse Rudder is so cheap- I figured Id mount it on the rudder. The Bungie/etc held it just fine!! No noticeable effect in steering with the jet off. Turned just fine. I was able to cruise (guessing) around 3-4mph and then up to 6-7+ when used with the drive. Very pleased with it overall.

Next, I figured I mount the Hobie Stabilizers on the board (This was only my 4th time out on a paddle board). The SideKicks fit without any modification (perfect spacing)- Extremely streamlined and the bar allows for other mounts/etc. I used the Yakattack geartrac adapter and surf plug adapters. Couldn't tip it even if I tried!! These transformed the board into Strong/Stable fishing platform

Next mod will be some type of seat. Im usually out for about 2-3 hrs- which is just too much standing for me. I love my ATAK 3d leaning seat, but it is too wide for the eclipse. May keep it simple with a tall 5gal bucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, VB, send a few pics!

As for seat, assuming you are talking about your paddle board, check out low camping seats like the ones they sell at REI (https://www.rei.com/product/765270/rei-co-op-camp-stowaway-low-chair for $40. (Cheaper lsewhere if you settle for heavier ones). They have more expensive ones as well at REI.

The advantages of these chairs are:
* Low cost. If cost is not an issue, the Vantage would do great as well
* You are sitting VERY low, closer to the center of gravity.
* The seat has rubber feet that are practically impossible to slide off the board's pad. And a single cord can tie it to one of your D-rings just in case (I wish my buddy had done that when I lent it to him... and then fell off).

For me this set up (minus the Bixby) was my "poor man's kayak" for some time when touring Mexico. Combined with my ULI indestructible inflatable board (yes, THE original inflatable, still kicking), it was great for lazy trips to Sea of Cortez for several years (no trailer, no car topping, and still great for quiet fishing off Gonzaga Bay). This was before the Bixby came up... now that you bring it into context, I feel like getting one just for the fun of propelling the board with precisely that layout. GREAT for short trips.

Again, send those pics :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/240RjsU.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/bBueR4N.jpg[/img][/img]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain