Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my eclipse slightly longer than 1 year, and I am having the same problem as described in https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 34&t=67174. The mirage drive seems to track fine when I move the pedals with my hands, but when I am standing on it, the front screws on each arm are rubbing against the side of the pedals. Also, while the right arm tracks parallel to the pedal, the end of the left arm is significantly further from the pedal then than the front of the arm when pedalling.

Based on the post referenced above as well looking as various youtube videos I tightened up all 6 nuts, and then after discussions with my dealer did it even more. It seems like all cables are at least as tight as indicated in the manual.

To give you some idea of how tight, there is only slight give in the front cable, and it appears to be as tight as it goes. If I try to tighten it any more the threaded rod on the cable starts rotating, and there are 8 threads exposed. There is basically no give in the back cable and the idler cable. The back cable has 4 threads exposed. The idler cable has 6 threads exposed.

None of this, as far as I can tell, has changed how the screw rubs against the pedal, or changed the tracking of the left arm.

Not sure what else to do. Some guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am 
Site Admin

There is a "ramp" screwed to the bottom of each pedal that guides the roller along. It could be installed backward?

Hobie Cat USA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The thicker part of the ramp is towards the inside on both pedals. Assume that is correct, but please confirm.

Also, I noticed that the roller on the end of the left arm is slightly looser than the one on the right. There is about 1/16" of free play between the roller and the arm on the left arm whereas the roller is snug to the arm (~1/64") on the right arm. I wouldn't think that would account for the issues, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe the bearings are worn. The drum may be a bit wobbly on the drum shaft? Also possible it is missing on or more bearings if they popped out during assembly.

You would have to take the chains and idler off. Then the drums would be able to slide off the drum shaft, but first you could check for movement. The drums should not move other than rotate on the shaft. If yo can wobble them than one of the two is the issue. There should be 15 bearings in each.

Instructions here: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.hobie.com/item_attachments/Sprocket_Assembly.pdf

Hobie Cat USA