Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any plans for a 'Sailing Eclipse'?...... ie. replacing the 'handlebars' with a 'mast/sail', and the 'mirage unit' with a 'centerboard' (and perhaps a different rear fin). Might add an 'extra dimension' to an already 'versatile' board. --- Just a 'thought' --- :P :roll: I might just have to try out my 3 mtr 'para-sail-kite' with it..... to see how it works! :shock: :!:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds kinda like a Windsurfer?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool idea it wouldn't take much work to rig up an upside down triangular downwind kite with one line mounted at the base of the handlebars. Then the two controlling lines in your hands (basically trap the line between your hand and the handlebar grips. To adjust you just let out one line or the other. You of course still have your hands on the handlebars and can still operate the rudder and pedals. I doubt anything larger than a beach towel would work. If it gets too much you just let go of the two ropes.
Or you can just put on one of those wing suits that parachute people wear. Then just hold your arms out, then you are the sail (lol)
Interesting concept
FE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's sorta like Matt said - it's already been done. Plenty of them out there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure, 'plenty' of 'Wind Surfers' out there; BUT -NONE- that can also be easily changed to a "Pedal Board" AND a "SUP"! Added versatility.... would make the ECLIPSE ....... even 'more unique'.... and add 'windy day' capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

In understand the multi use concept you make, but want to clarify something... The Eclipse is totally windy day friendly... Most people can't SUP on a windy or choppy day, the the Eclipse charges right into / through it. It has a much winder range of conditions it can be used in than a SUP.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed the 12.0 Eclipse for 4.5 miles downwind using a 7.5 parafoil kite I attached to a loop at the base of the handle bars. Pulled me at 4 - 5 mph and allowed me to pedal and steer as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting; Could you explain (or perhaps a picture) of how you attached the kite to the base of the handlebars? :?: I used 'Flickr', 'Right Click' (Copy image location), and the [Img] box, to post my photos.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a
WindPaddle Adventure Sail
and it works wonderful. I attach the bottom two clips to a line that i secure under the front of each peddle. Then I have the control line in my hands while I have them also on the turning controls. It is awesome. Works down wind and a little off the wind.
I will try to get some one to take a video of it. I get a lot of complements on the use of the WindPaddle as a sail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Love to see pictures of the 'set-up'..... and a video in ACTION! :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip on the Windpaddle sail. I'll check that out. But I'm here because I am specifically hoping Hobie will create a sail for the Eclipse. The board itself 'wants' one. but don't make it a windsurfer...that already exists. and don't change the pedals either. THey already work as a keel if you hold them in the down position. I literally sailed my Eclipse and picked up a few knots of speed just by pulling my shirt out to the side as a sail and bending one knee to get a little heel on the board.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually, the best way for Hobie to add a sail to the Eclipse would be to add a connector just like that of the handlebars to the bow of the board for the mast and add a small traveler that attaches to the handlebars. That would give you enough control to pass the sail back and forth in front of the handlebars as a headsail. The pedals in the down position serve as a keel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral