Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Eclipse 10.5 Dura and absolutely love it. Over here in Melbourne, Australia, there are lots of 2nd hand older style Mirage Outback for sale on eBay and I am thinking of getting one of those. These are the older model circa 2013-14 with the soft seats and classic Mirage Drive. Some of these Outbacks are being sold at a price equivalent to a new Mirage drive on its own. Some comes with wheels, crate and even live well and other accessories. So an absolute bargain.

There are times when I wish to travel super light and would like to take the Eclipse trout fishing in some inland lakes (very calm and flat conditions). My question is :-

Can I drop in the Mirage drive from the Outback into the Eclipse? Note - I am reasonably handy and can attach extra mounting points to the Eclipse. So I can attach temporary kayak seat so that I can pedal in the seated position instead of standing up. And I am able to rig the steering cables so that I can still steer the board whilst seated. I weigh only 110 lbs, so I have lots of room to add a seat, accessories etc and some light fishing gear without compromising stability etc.
-
Has anyone done this before? And any advise someone can give me? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can find posts by fusioneng(?) who I think put an eclipse drive into a seated kayak and it was far, far harder to pedal. It's seemed like a gearing thing where the mirage may be way too easy to pedal with all your weight slaming down on the eclipse?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks yaw-sting for the reply. But what I'm after is putting a kayak Mirage drive into an Eclipse. It's the other way around. Will it fit and how practical is it? Think if this as a (very) poor-man's Lynx. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Patrick , I have a 12’ eclipse 2021 and just got a second hand 10.5’ too, I found this post which may confirm what you are wanting to know , but if you are still stuck let me know as I have a TI Mirage drive 180s I can try in my eclipse if you need. Would love to hear any mods or success you’ve had in alternative uses for the eclipse!

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... or#p272003

And this one https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ilit=Motor