Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hobie Mirage Eclipse
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lead Belly wrote:
Quote:
Note the spikyness, which shows southern hemisphere folks not carrying their own weight during northern winters:

Very interesting statistics, daft, thanks. But you northerners should take into account that we southerners only make up 10-12 per cent of the world's population. So what the seasonal pattern shows is northerners are a bunch of fair weather sailors. :lol:

What he said Daft (NOW I get how you got your handle! :)).

Australia has a population about 5 million less that New York alone. I think Daft will find that we carry our weight" extremely well on a per population basis. In addition, we also contribute to those spikes, as year-round sailing is quite possible here...

Try this one, what proportion of crew on America's Cup vessels are from the Antipodes? I rest my case!. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I could also add that if Hobie supplied the down under market more enthusiastically during our summer, rather than supplying snow-bound dealers in US during northern winters, we could "carry our weight" even more.

PS. Not wishing to boast about our year-round sailing conditions, but who else "up north" carries a 1 litre container of block out? (and no, it doesn't need any anti-freeze! in it!) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
I think Daft will find that we carry our weight" extremely well on a per population basis.

Ah, for want of me adding a smiley face I must digress into apology. I would be happy for upside-downers to pull only their per-capita weight. But some comment has to be made about extreme 10+X factor of spikyness of, for example, "rafting" if the smaller overall changes in trendline are to be believed. BTW these are counting searches, not buying or using watercraft. Possibilities of southerners not softening northern spikes:

1) Purely a quirk of extreme northern hemispheroid internet habits?
2) Downunders use a different name for "rafting", like "gollywonking" for instance?
3) Downunders have more mature habit of searching year round rather than northern seasonal procrastination?
4) Downunders research more via in-person chats, hardcopy, or brick & mortar visits than northerners do?

I confess a bias towards #4 based on visits of a decade or two ago. At that time I found a tenuous online presence of useable updated Oz info, maybe only underdone in the developed world by Italy. I would for instance check event schedules for a quiet time for me to visit and sneak bulky paragliding gear thru Sydney mass transit and onward for Stanwell Park daytrips... and landed in the exact middle of the million man Mardi Gras chaos! And later got stuck on daytrip loops when ferries or trains had scheduled closures that hadn't shown up online.

It should be neither important or insulting if I guess southerners are less a slave of the google search, altho only thru that did I find Hobie made more than just catamarans. I think Oz (and moreso England) also resisted tech temptations in the form of copying national TV accents. In the US I think a generation of TV addicted children ignored the regional accents of their parents and teachers for the more nationally unified TV sound. In contrast I think you can distinguish a Melbourne twang from for example an Alice Springs one, partly because kids there listen to live local role models.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

uh oh, we Australians too are "fair weather sailors" - there is a massive summertime peak shown in the attached diagram for Australia alone. Evident are the same broad trends that Daft identified, except the term "kayak" (but not "kayaking") is trending upwards.

Thanks again Daft (="Thinker"), I learnt about a useful source of info today (though I think it needs to be used carefully).

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any plan for adding an option to add a seat in the future for when you want to stop pedaling and rest, take pics, eat a sandwich, enjoy the scenery, apply Icy Hot?