Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that the drive and the pedals rub against each other, I can not get a smooth cadence going anymore.

There are hex bolts on the deck side of the drive that have their finish rubbing against the pedals with each cycle.
The finish is nearly off these hex bolts that attach the black housing that covers the cable attachment points of this Mirage Drive.

It looks like if the front Mirage Drive cable was tightened that the drive would tighten up and no longer rub the pedals.
However, the front cable is fully tightened. It shipped from the factory that way. I can not tighten it. It has a great deal of play.

I have gone to the dealer, who went to Hobie. He says the cables are designed not to be adjusted.

Metal cables stretch. I think they need tightening.
There are Youtube sessions on maintaining every drive except for the Ecilpse. These other Youtube mirage drive tutorials actually expect you to adjust the cables if they are too loose or too tight. There needs to be a YouTube Eclipse Mirage Drive tutorial - especially if these drive cables are not meant to be tightened.

Please can someone help me. I have a new board I would simply like to enjoy. I just need a fix so the pedals don't rub against the drive.

I would like to post some pictures to describe the problem - but it is not clear how to do that.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:30 am 
Site Admin

The chains and cable are absolutely designed for adjustments. They must be snug enough to hold the drums to the spine and remove the looseness you have experienced.

The adjustments are the same on the eclipse as any MirageDrive. Snug but not tight. You need a small amount of movement (When pinching them as described in the manual).

It is shown in the Eclipse manual on page 12:

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/Mirage_Stand_Up_Eclipse_Manual_WpT7knH.pdf#page=12

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for working with me on this Matt.

I think all I need is to be able to tighten the front drive cable.

My front drive cable came from the factory fully tightened.
This cable has the most play. It has more play than the manual recommends.
But unfortunately, it can not be tightened any further.

Likewise the Idler cable came from the factory fully tightened and so can not be tightened up.
When this cable stretches it may become a problem too.

I can not loosen the rear drive cable as it is only just holding on to the threads of the rear drive nuts.

I sent pictures of these cables to my dealer, so they could see that I can not tighten the front cable.
Basically two cables look too long and one cable looks too short.

What do you recommend?
Thanks again for helping me get to a practical resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am 
Site Admin

You should be able to tighten the end that the nuts are just holding... that will pull the cable aft and allow for tensioning the front. The idler is different?... both ends are as tight as they can go?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)