Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our board got scratched on way home from dealer. The 12' board was scratched where it resting on the top rail of 10 foot trailer. The scratch went through the protective gel coat to the white under layer. I not sure if we strapped it too tight or the blanket moved. My question is what is the best way to fix?

BTW we love the board. It is very fun and great exercise. Definitely beats jogging :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:17 am 
Site Admin

It is a paint finish with a clear coat surface. I suggest using a colored felt pen to color in / hide the scratch as a possibility.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I stored my board on the dock sideways and needed to go out of town without notice. The board was tied down and I felt safe.
When I got home the bottom was badly scratched and there were breaks in the bottom skin.
My new eclipse now looks old and worn. I am devastated.

What does Hobie offer a repair for dents and scratches.

Any one?

The bottom is blue flat finish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is not a solution but a suggestion for Hobie: offer a touch up kit for the boards similar to auto dealers meant for fixing minor scratches in their autos. It would be easy since there are only three colors: blue, yellow and silver. I am sure many owners would buy them to keep the boards looking new. I know I would buy it.

BTW - I did get the Pantone colors codes from Hobie: Yellow 108c, blue 3005c, silver 877c. But I had trouble finding a paint store that could make the color in a type of paint that they thought would work well for a paddle board.

Or maybe if any board owner reads this and works at a paint store you could offer a kit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really like the board but the gelcoat is really a problem it chips way to easily I try to take very good care of my board but it is already full of chips. Hobie really need to address this both for current and future owners

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Another 'TIP' that I have used for minor scratches, dings, or small 'chips';..... is a method I used to repair minor damage to Ultralight propellers. I just place a small drop of 'Super Glue' gel over the 'blemish' and work it in, and smooth it out (do NOT use bare fingers!). For slightly deeper nicks, you can sprinkle some 'baking power', to give it a bit more body. Glue seems to keep the chips 'in place' and seals the scratches, ..... don't know if it will harm the board's surface.... but so far, no visible problems. Any comment, from HOBIE on the PRO's or CON's? :?: :roll:

Last edited by RogWild on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

yonnyb wrote:
I try to take very good care of my board but it is already full of chips. Hobie really need to address this both for current and future owners

Have you shown it to your dealer? Filed a claim? This is a hi tech product and not a plastic kayak, but should not simply be "chipping".

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Link to the pix of my scratched up Eclipse.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ed63abea15

It shouldn't chip easily but it really does.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We absolutely love using our new SUP Eclipse! However, we've had it fewer than 6 hours and it already has a chip in it! (We bumped our dock.) Can't believe it chipped that easily! We, too, would like to know how repair it. It would be nice if
there was touch up paint and/or sealer. Additionally, it would be nice if there was a more durable surface on areas that would likely make contact with the shore, a log, or stone. Hoping someone at Hobie monitors these posts and makes improvements based on our suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Yes, this first version of the Eclipse is a high end performance construction similar to SUP race boards and surfboards, so requires similar care in handling.

To fix chips and scratches, you can cover with a colored vinyl sticker or get it to a board shop that does glass repairs. Contact your dealer for options. They can contact our technical department for information about the options.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a Wave Sailboat and love it but also want a little more exercise while on the water, so my wife and I have been seriously considering buying two Eclipses. As everyone knows this would be a $5,000.00+ expense. Not a small amount of money!

We already own two SUP's but like the idea of a handle and stair-stepping. After reading this series of posts (and several others), we are VERY CONCERNED about the photos and descriptions of scraps, scratches and chips caused by a variety of frequently occurring activities (not to mention chips caused by the drive system itself).

Despite how carefully we treat all of our outdoor equipment it appears difficult, maybe even impossible, to avoid having a new Eclipse looking tired and worn after just one season.

Will the 2017 boards have any different construction from one's manufactured last year? Any different finishes to avoid or at least lessen what appears to scratching/chipping issues in 2016?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Once again, this is a high end epoxy product and does need care. Same as a high end SUP or surfboard. We do have padded covers for transport and repair paints. See a dealer for those options.

There are no new products announced yet for 2017.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well we just got an eclipse mirage 12 and love it. However where the design is outstanding the gelcoat is terrible. We are considering buying a second one but at this moment the ease of damage will steer me away from purchasing a 2nd one. My suggestion, is that at a minimum the rail protection kit should be applied at the factory on all Eclipses and Hobie should provide each board with a padded storage bag. This should be done until the board is redesigned with much more robust materials. Of course each existing owner should be sent the protection kit and bag as well. The chipping of the gelcoat is way too easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

We do offer a reinforcement kit and are working on tougher rail protection versions for the fall.

Of course providing a kit and cover is not something we can do. These are high end glossy finishes and do need appropriate handling to avoid dings and scratches like any similar product. We have dealers doing demos with boards for the season which do not have problems when handled well. It requires care as does a fiberglass catamaran or car's finish.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Matt!
We paid a lot for our Eclipse and we are NOT throwing it around. But the lightest of touches have caused significant chips in the finish.
Feel like I need to keep it wrapped completely in bubble wrap.
Are there any plans for a new finish in the next version?
I truly love my Eclipse and have only had it a year, but it looks like it has been around the block too many times.
Thanks for any info.