Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello: we just bought a new hobie eclipse. we really enjoy the power and speed of the eclipse. our problem is from the first time we put it in the water and started peddling, it veered to the right. I have adjusted the steering lines 3 times and it doesn't seem to make any difference. the only way we can make the eclipse go in a straight line is to slightly engage the left hand calipers and hold it down. when your going several miles this takes the fun out of eclipsing!
if some one has a solution we would be grateful. thanks..........tom

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Check to see that the rudder is self centering... there is a bungee that does that. Is the rudder housing straight to the hull?

In a cross wind it may be required to steer to one side or the other.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello matt: yes I have checked the rudder seems very straight and I have measured the rudder housing it does not appear to be off center.
we have had the eclipse out in calm, flat water, windy conditions going both up and downwind and the board always veers to the right side. I have been on a friends eclipse and his board goes a long distance before any adjustment is needed. something is definitely wrong with our eclipse.
any other ideas would be appreciated. thanks for your help with this............tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Odd if the rudder is actually straight. Maybe use a snap line the length of the board to confirm the alignment. Rudder blade twisted? Steering lines twisted in the handlebar... hmmm... Handlebars aligned? Since you have used another and not had the issue... it's not likely some balance or technique issue.

Although it is not uncommon to have to actively steer. Especially when slowing down as the drive is drag in the water if not pedaling and that will turn the boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello matt: today I did snap a line on the board, good call. the line on the bottom of the showed that from the center of the rudder unit port hole was of 3/8ths of an inch off from the center line. the same with the mirage drive unit port it was 3/8th of an inch off center.
another question when you adjust the steering lines how hard should you pull on the lines once you twist the rudder to the hard stop. when you are done should there be much movement of the rudder, unless you pull the calipers? thanks........tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Just enough to remove slack. Too much and you cause friction in the system. The rudder should not move very much side to side when not pulling on the calipers, but there is a little give in the system.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gentlemoon wrote:
hello matt: today I did snap a line on the board, good call. the line on the bottom of the showed that from the center of the rudder unit port hole was of 3/8ths of an inch off from the center line. the same with the mirage drive unit port it was 3/8th of an inch off center.
another question when you adjust the steering lines how hard should you pull on the lines once you twist the rudder to the hard stop. when you are done should there be much movement of the rudder, unless you pull the calipers? thanks........tom

Please see our video on how to adjust the steering line correctly on the Eclipse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TTQ3fuCft4&ab_channel=Hobie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello matt and Jacques: I had been adjusting the steering lines correctly as I watched the hobie video when we first encounter the steering problem. matt you didn't comment on the the rudder unit and mirage drive unit being off center. do you think they are part of the board continually veering to the right?
we bought this eclipse for my wife and have only had it a couple of weeks. this eclipse is definately not operating correctly and taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the eclipse ride. what other options do we have?
thanks for your help with this problem............tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello matt: we are still waiting on some guidance and direction on how to repair this eclipse steering problem..........tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, not always able to get to all posts. Yes, if the rudder and or drive wells are not aligned... this could cause what you describe. Since you have two to compare and one is working correctly. Makes sense.

You should contact your dealer. They can evaluate the issue and send a claim to our warranty department. Clear photos would help.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello matt: ok I will bring it to the dealer. thanks for your help and insight. you do a wonderful job monitoring all of the various hobie forums and I have learned a lot from you. all the best to you..........tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Tom! We will get you fixed up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,

Salt and sand can ingress into the rudder housing and make things sticky. The diagram in the link helped me disassemble the housing and check the "centering bungee".

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Eclipse-Rudder-System-Parts_c701.htm

A defective bungee or a loose hog ring might impact proper return to center after a steering input.

Good luck!

Hobie 16 with Tequila Sunrise sails (in the past)
Hobie Revo 11 for peddle, paddle, fishing and sailing
Hobie Eclipse 10.5 Solar Yellow
SurfTech 12' Touring SUP