Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It appears that bonding and securing components and adhesives to the anodized aluminum handlebars is quite a technical challenge. Especially with the damaging cycling and torque exerted at each peddling motion.

Having performed a handlebar base repair, I used the 3M 5200 that Matt recommended, in addition to replacing the pop rivets. So far so good!

When the Quick Release assembly started to wiggle and squeak, it was time to repair the other end. Found there was a very thin layer of brittle and yellow (looks like) epoxy between the plastic housing and the aluminum. And the very undersized screws kept loosening as well. The tapped holes in very thin wall aluminum only allows for very few threads to hold to.

Removed the components and cleaned as much adhesive off as possible without gouging the anodized finish. Using 3M 5200, and accurately sized stainless screws, returned to the water.

This was a very short lived repair. Wiggle and squeaking returned.

After setting the height to a generic position, drilled through the screw holes for a couple of pop rivets. Lost adjustability for now, but the pop rivets will maintain constant compression where needed, as experienced with my Hobie 16 mast and trampoline repairs.

Still testing but the rivets are lasting longer than the screws.

Always fun on the Eclipse!

Enjoy!

Hobie 16 with Tequila Sunrise sails (in the past)
Hobie Revo 11 for peddle, paddle, fishing and sailing
Hobie Eclipse 10.5 Solar Yellow
SurfTech 12' Touring SUP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any updates or alternatives to this problem and alternative fix? Sounds like more or less exactly the same thing has happened to my quick release assembly. Handlebars started wobbling, dry yellow epoxy emerging, discovered one of the short screws/bolts on the sides has sheared. I'd prefer to keep the height adjustable of course, but also just want to be able to get back out on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Nothing new that I know of. Re-bonding is the key. Maybe shim the inside part to tighten the connection. A piece of tape on the bottom of the upper might work?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, since epoxy may not work I tried wrapping some tape around the post and got a replacement #8-32 x 1/4 screw from Home Depot. Still wobbly, which will likely quickly lead to another broken screw, so added more tape today. The trick is to get enough shim/padding to reduce the considerable up/down pressure on the screws themselves, while still being able to get the cap back on. Will update if it works; if not, will try some sort of epoxy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Handlebar quick release got loose again, squeaking every peddle. Replaced the two rivets, and added two more pop rivets. Hopefully this will hold.

Hobie 16 with Tequila Sunrise sails (in the past)
Hobie Revo 11 for peddle, paddle, fishing and sailing
Hobie Eclipse 10.5 Solar Yellow
SurfTech 12' Touring SUP