Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife is very interested in the Hobie Mirage Eclipse. She's demo'ed one last year and now is desiring to have her own. Other than the cost itself, is there any downside to the Dura model? Does the foam covering hold up well? Does it get dirtier quicker? Is the speed affected at all? I ask because in most cases we will be having to transport it on a vehicle or trailer. It seems that the regular, non-dura model, get's pretty beat up from handling that would come loading and unloading from a vehicle, truck, trailer, etc., not to mention getting it to the water, etc. Someday, we'll might have place at the lake, but that's not in the cards in the near future. So, if the dura is going to be a better for how we use it, I'd like to just bite the bullet and get it rather than find out later and wish we had. Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks,
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I opted for the regular model- but purely based off of the recent price drop on them vs the Dura. I was able to add the side rail protection, nose guard, etc pads and purchase the cart & Bag.... As much as the finish may scratch here and there on the regular- performance isn't effected. As long as your not leaning over and placing in on concrete- hitting docks/etc, there really shouldn't be many issues. The most prone issue for me is leaning it on its side to plug in the cart (Once Im back at the boat ramp). Ive recently switched to a C-Tug cart to solve that issue and will leave the plug in cart for when Im at the beach.

My friend has the the Dura and treats it pretty rough- not one issue yet. I think it all comes down to your particular Launch habits/location.