Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for this great forum. I have read every post in anticipation of getting one in the spring. I understand that the 12' is more stable but less maneuverable than the 10'6". How much less maneuverable? Weight wise- we'd be ok with either- but I was going to go with the 12' to keep it open for bigger guests...but I got bummed out by the "less maneuverable" comments. Is it really that big of a difference? Also...I have heard it stated (in a video from the Toronto International Boat Show) that the 12' is appx 1.5X as fast as the 10'6". Can anyone else speak to this or offer comment? Thanks for all the helpful topics to date.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Appears that I am one of the few that has been checking this board. I tested both the 10'6 and 12' boards. Ultimately, I purchased the 12' because I found it much more stable for me. Im 5'8 200lbs. I would have been okay on the 10'6 if there wasn't a choice.

I beleive the speed is more relative to the users attributes. Based on my weight & less volume of the 10'6 board- it felt a tad slower. On the 12', I am able to shift my weight better and really cruise for short distances. The longer 12' will have more volume and perhaps float higher/less drag- the end of the day, I'm not sure there is any "Real measurable" difference as long as the weight to board ratio is similar. 1.5x is silly in my opinion as it is the same drive and virtually the same board. I'd call it "glide ability is better" on the 12' and put it at 15-20% more efficient in a race.

Im still laughing at 1.5x faster. Perhaps the Boat Show person Demo wasn't apples to apples. You are able to adjust the tension on the peddles- Meaning, If I peddled the 10'6 that was set for a 150lb person, It may go slower based on lack of needed resistance that I would want for my 200lb weight.

Maneuverability... Felt exactly the same to me. The 12' turns at the same angle- The only thing I can think of is that shifting body weight on these boards (any paddle board) makes a big difference. Based on the smaller 10'6, any weight shift could cause a noticeable difference in turning- but like I said- I didn't notice anything other than it being a little less stable for my weight...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks so much VaBeach1!
I really appreciate that you took the time to give such a detailed and thoughtful response. I feel more at ease making this decision. Your arguments are sound and make good sense - smart thinking. I must say that it's not like I think I will be competing or trying to set any record speeds but the maneuverability issue would have been a deal breaker on the 12' otherwise. With your info, I am pretty sure I will go for the 12'er.
Cheers and thanks so much.