Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Compass Setup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not too worried about the waves. Where I fish its relatively calm and secluded from wind. That's encouraging that you spent that long in the seat and was good to go. That's really my biggest concern right now is the seat. I know Im spoiled with the PA seat but I'm hoping this one comes close.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve could you post a photo of the bottom of your modified seat pad?
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fiddlefadel wrote:
Steve could you post a photo of the bottom of your modified seat pad?
Thanks
Dave

Let me get home tonight and take some pictures. Will post them here.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All,

Since I was asked to share pictures of my seat cushion solution here are a few. The issue for me with the Compass seat was that my rear end kept resting on the rear seat base. Even though I tightened the back lumbar as tight as it would go, my posterior still rested on that rear bar. Not comfortable. :(

So I happened to have one of those square marine throw cushions from my bass boat days. It has 2 pieces of foam inside. I cut a long slot on the bottom and removed one of the layers. That left the perfect amount to provide comfort and keep me from feeling the seat frame.

Using some black Gorilla tape, I taped up the bottom so the slot I cut was covered and the loose material was secured. I then wrapped the straps around the seat base and used a small shock/bungee cord to hold it in place.

Installed the new cushion works great, provides the right amount of cushion without feeling like I am sitting higher. Since the cushion is marine grade, I don't worry about it getting wet and it's easy to take off and clean. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are the H rail secure enough to lift the Compass with the rails?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ttommy wrote:
Are the H rail secure enough to lift the Compass with the rails?

Mine are. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve,

I really like your Compass, beutfully set up, and it really looks functional. I’ve had an Outback in the past, a 2005, and I have Ocean Kayak 15.5 foot Prowlers, but I want a new Hobie, and the Compass looks like the one I would like, size, smaller than the Outback, and easier for me to handle. I’m small, 5”6”, 155 pounds.

Did you do all of your own work, mounting all gear, etc.? Have you had any problems? Has the power pole given you any problems? Do you use it much and how well does it function for you? Are the floor pans worth the investment? Sorry for the questions, but I’d like to avoid mistakes.

I am generally a minimalist, but I’ve thought in the past about decking one out fully, and I love the looks of your’s.

With all of the add-ons have you calculated your investment. Just guessing with power pole and all, I’d estimate $3,500.00 to $4,000.00. I was trying to figure out what I would have to invest to have one similar to your’s.

One last question; have you had your’s in saltwater? If so, how did it do with the waves and wind? I am in Central Texas and fish the lakes and rivers here, Lake Waco in Waco, Texas and the Brazos River, but we also fish the flats around Arkansas Pass and off PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) on the Gulf of Mexico. It can be quite or it can be rougher, so I’d need something that can handle launching in the surf and wind and waves away from land.

Thanks for your help. I really will appreciate your thoughts, and I really think you have done a great job on your kayak.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harold ray wrote:
Steve,

I really like your Compass, beutfully set up, and it really looks functional. I’ve had an Outback in the past, a 2005, and I have Ocean Kayak 15.5 foot Prowlers, but I want a new Hobie, and the Compass looks like the one I would like, size, smaller than the Outback, and easier for me to handle. I’m small, 5”6”, 155 pounds.

Did you do all of your own work, mounting all gear, etc.? Have you had any problems? Has the power pole given you any problems? Do you use it much and how well does it function for you? Are the floor pans worth the investment? Sorry for the questions, but I’d like to avoid mistakes.

I am generally a minimalist, but I’ve thought in the past about decking one out fully, and I love the looks of your’s.

With all of the add-ons have you calculated your investment. Just guessing with power pole and all, I’d estimate $3,500.00 to $4,000.00. I was trying to figure out what I would have to invest to have one similar to your’s.

One last question; have you had your’s in saltwater? If so, how did it do with the waves and wind? I am in Central Texas and fish the lakes and rivers here, Lake Waco in Waco, Texas and the Brazos River, but we also fish the flats around Arkansas Pass and off PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) on the Gulf of Mexico. It can be quite or it can be rougher, so I’d need something that can handle launching in the surf and wind and waves away from land.

Thanks for your help. I really will appreciate your thoughts, and I really think you have done a great job on your kayak.

Ray

Ray,

Sent you a PM. Happy to discuss details and answer questions over the phone. I have only fished saltwater in the Compass. Most of the time it's Gulf inshore in the Big Bend area of Florida. About 130 nautical miles on it now...lol!

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:
Very nice rig! How do you like the seat compared to the PA seat? Have you tried standing yet?
I have a 2017 PA 12 and like it except for the weight. Its overkill for where I fish and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Compass.

The only thing I miss using the Compass is the skeg of the PA. That skeg helps keep your stern from being blown around by the wind.

Steve, do you not have the rudder deployed in that scenario? It seems like the rudder would keep the ass end from blowing around...Thanks again for this great thread, I have nearly gotten the approval from the wife to order a new yak, so I am again doing my due diligence.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cdcraw550 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:
Very nice rig! How do you like the seat compared to the PA seat? Have you tried standing yet?
I have a 2017 PA 12 and like it except for the weight. Its overkill for where I fish and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Compass.

The only thing I miss using the Compass is the skeg of the PA. That skeg helps keep your stern from being blown around by the wind.

Steve, do you not have the rudder deployed in that scenario? It seems like the rudder would keep the ass end from blowing around...Thanks again for this great thread, I have nearly gotten the approval from the wife to order a new yak, so I am again doing my due diligence.

Even with the rudder deployed, the stern can get pushed around. I do have the Blackpak behind the seat and that can act as a mechanism to help the wind push the rear around. I don't use a drift chute, but have been debating whether to get one for times when I am slow fishing over grass beds in the Gulf. In the Pro Angler the skeg really helped keep the rear from swinging around when you were going slowly and working an area with angled winds. The rudder on the Compass is nowhere near the size of the PA rudder. :wink:

Keeping the fins up helps to an extent as there is less resistance on the front to allow the rear to swing if there is a crosswind. Not complaining at all regarding the Compass. It's my main fishing machine for the time being. Just an observation. Took the PA14 tarpon fishing last weekend. Going to try the Compass this coming weekend.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

BerleyPro Jig Bucket Edition Side Bro

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

johnnybravo wrote:
BerleyPro Jig Bucket Edition Side Bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks nice!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You have the cleanest and most fishable set up I have seen. Two questions; 1. Whats the parts makeup of your rod holders? Seems to be the universal H rail plate and either scotty or railbalza. I can't find the rod holders anywhere. 2. What do you use the empty side mounted plate on the blackpak for?

Cheers! 8)

VR
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeff@sea wrote:
You have the cleanest and most fishable set up I have seen. Two questions; 1. Whats the parts makeup of your rod holders? Seems to be the universal H rail plate and either scotty or railbalza. I can't find the rod holders anywhere. 2. What do you use the empty side mounted plate on the blackpak for?

Cheers! 8)

VR
Jeff

Jeff,

The rod holders are the Ram Junior (YakAttack Zooka Tubes) with the RAM lockable bases. Go to "themountdepot.com" and type Ram Jr in the search box. Looks like they are temporarily out of stock. Normally run $24-$25 for the holder and the mount. It's a simple setup that I started with on my Pro Angler that allowed me to put the rod holders anywhere I wanted along the H-Rail. Yes, I used 2 of the Hobie universal mounting plates to mount the rod holders to. I put the holders on the H-Rail just behind the seat on the Compass. I can basically rest my arm on the rod holder. When landing a fish in the kayak, I just open the bail and drop the rod in the holder. Keeps the rod secure and out of the way while I unhook the fish in the kayak.

I normally pivot the right side around the 2:30 clock position. That allows an easy angle and keeps the rod butt angled where it doesn't interfere with anything. The left side is normally straight back top the rear or slightly outward. Allows for me to keep a second rod handy and easily swapped out with the rod I am throwing versus twisting around to get a rod out of the Blackpack rod holders. The red phone cords are safety leashes so if I happen to pull the rod holder out to re-adjust the angle and drop it, I won't lose it!

The mounting plate on the side of the Blackpak is for a Navisafe telescoping pole that either holds the magnetic attached 360 light at the top or my Fuji XP70 waterproof camera. I did add 2 more rod holders to the Blackpack since the pictures were taken. So I can carry 6 on the Blackpack when I am tournament fishing.

Thanks for the compliments on the setup. About 175 nautical miles on it so far and still loving it!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next