Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,

Just received my brand new Hobie Compass mirage drive 180 turbo with sail kit after waiting 3 months due to covid19 complications. With the excitement of finally seeing my first kayak, I over looked many issues presumably caused during manufacturing.

When I got it into my apartment and set it on foam blocks to look it over, and admire my new 3G purchase (1,000 for sail and accessories I got with my kayak) I began to notice things that seemed off.

1. The right side molded carry handle has a crack. Looking further into the Problem I believe where the mold is pushed into place wasn't set all the way in and the tab was pushing up on the molding and bulged up to where it gave way to open up.

2. Flipping the yak over I noticed around where the mirage drive opening is, looks warped all the way around. Uniformly raised around the opening, it doesn't seem too out of place until you look at other Compasses They are all smooth bottom even around the Drive Well.

3. The plug on the bottom closest to Drive Opening seems to be melted around what looks like a brass nut toped off with a plastic cap. again looking at other yaks it should've been smooth around the cap.

4. After seeing these issues from my yak I opened up the sail to inspect it closely. Found one tear about the size of a corn kernel. And while winding up the sail and putting it back into carry case noticed threads were coming undone as well.

With all these complications though, my Dealer has taken notice and got the handle and sail coming in to replaced the defected parts. The Plug and molding around the mirage drive well was assured to me it shouldn't be an issue. I will be taking my yak out for the first time this weekend. Would only say that for the amount I paid and time I waited, wish it would've came to me flawless. I'm still excited to finally try it out and sail around using the torn sail till my new one arrives.

I have pictures, not sure how to up load though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Image posting FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

Boats do vary and we have several molds for Compass. Things also change as the molds age. Could be some of that.

Threads can come loose as the end os a run is snipped and a second run starts on top of it. A tear though, is very odd.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

markymark wrote:
Hello all,

Just received my brand new Hobie Compass mirage drive 180 turbo with sail kit after waiting 3 months due to covid19 complications. With the excitement of finally seeing my first kayak, I over looked many issues presumably caused during manufacturing.

When I got it into my apartment and set it on foam blocks to look it over, and admire my new 3G purchase (1,000 for sail and accessories I got with my kayak) I began to notice things that seemed off.

1. The right side molded carry handle has a crack. Looking further into the Problem I believe where the mold is pushed into place wasn't set all the way in and the tab was pushing up on the molding and bulged up to where it gave way to open up.

2. Flipping the yak over I noticed around where the mirage drive opening is, looks warped all the way around. Uniformly raised around the opening, it doesn't seem too out of place until you look at other Compasses They are all smooth bottom even around the Drive Well.

3. The plug on the bottom closest to Drive Opening seems to be melted around what looks like a brass nut toped off with a plastic cap. again looking at other yaks it should've been smooth around the cap.

4. After seeing these issues from my yak I opened up the sail to inspect it closely. Found one tear about the size of a corn kernel. And while winding up the sail and putting it back into carry case noticed threads were coming undone as well.

With all these complications though, my Dealer has taken notice and got the handle and sail coming in to replaced the defected parts. The Plug and molding around the mirage drive well was assured to me it shouldn't be an issue. I will be taking my yak out for the first time this weekend. Would only say that for the amount I paid and time I waited, wish it would've came to me flawless. I'm still excited to finally try it out and sail around using the torn sail till my new one arrives.

I have pictures, not sure how to up load though.

Thanks for that info, I ordered a 2021 compass in July. This will be my second Hobie Kayak. On Oahu, the dealer doesn't have any Kayaks in stock. I'm told there's a good chance that I'll be hitting the Water in January. But If you ever been to Hawaii you know that January is not the best time to break out a kayak on the north shore. Let's just say the Waves are best for surfing during that period. However It'll give me time to inspect the Kayak thoroughly/closely when it arrives. Now at lease I'll have areas to concentrate on for all the items you found. After being one of the first to buy an Adventure Kayak in Hawaii when they first came out, and finding cracks in the first hull. The dealer swapped my cracked one for another and I've had this one for almost 12 years. I've come to expect a certain quality when it comes to Hobie, I've paddled out with my kayak to where I can't see land. I would only do that with a Hobie because I know, I'll make it back. That's why I'm willing to wait 6 months. I'm hoping not to find any defects with welds, bulging or anything else when my Kayak makes it to the house. It's a real confidence thing for me, I know I wouldn't except anything less than a perfect product. You could buy anything other than a Hobie if that were the case! I'm surprise your dealer let you leave feeling a little less confident in the Kayak. You should expect more. I don't work for Hobie, I pay full price for everything I bought. But at the same time other than an occasional the rudder pin. NOTHING has failed or leaked! Good luck!