Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have loose screw.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2020 Compass. What is the purpose of the 2 screws located on the inside of the forward right side hull? I tried to remove one to see what kind of screw it was and discovered it was a machine screw and the nut fell off inside the hull. I cannot retrieve the nut. Even if I could. I would never be able to reinstall it. A little warning sticker and statement of purpose would be nice.
Thanks
David

Post subject: Re: I have loose screw.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:50 am 
Hobie Team Member

The two screws on the forward starboard side are for a directional block. The rudder line goes through this pulley and back towards the stern of the kayak to the rudder. The nut and screw can be reinstalled by reaching into the kayak through the circular hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have long arms and I cannot reach the screw through the circular hatch. No way. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for explanation of screw purpose. Appreciated.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Believe it or not. Kayak positioning helps. Did you try it with the kayak laying flat on the ground?

Try getting the kayak on something that puts it shoulder high to you. You in whatever position. I did it sitting, so my kayak was sitting on short benches, leaning against my truck. I had the kayak sitting on its side; that way when I stuck my arm in, the kayak went over my entire shoulder. I got the entire length of my arm in there. (I can’t remember why I tried it - maybe to see if I could reach back to instal landing gear)

Or install the rectangle hatch for more space? But logic says someone had their arm in there at least once to reach those nuts in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for suggestions. Greatly appreciated. I've tried a variety of positions to no avail. Stopped at Hobie dealer today and he said Hobie has a special tool to hold the little nut, reach in and hold it in position against the screw (totally unseen) while someone else turns the screw to engage the nut. I asked if he had the tool in the store. He said no. I asked if he had access to such a tool. He said no. I think he was yanking my chain and wasn't at all concerned about my loose screw. I hope his nut falls off some day.
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

^^ well that sucks.

Then install a second round hatch up front? The fasteners will be right there, easy to reach.

I did the rectangle hatch midship and moved the round hatch up front. About $120...if I remember correctly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to forum but have rigged many boats and I too wondered what the screws were for. I asked my dealer and he set me straight, don't mess with it. A trick I've used is to take a closed end flat wrench, wrap a piece of tape or paper and wedge the nut into the wrench so it won't fall out. I have even taped the wrench to a wooden shaft for extension.