Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrying/lifting handles
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All

I just replaced my 08’ outback and just got a new Hobie Compass and had a question about carrying handles. I fish in a place where there is a narrow twisting foot path and marsh grass on both sides that leads to my launch. So a cart really doesn’t help me get to my fishing hole (I’ve tried). Its not a problem when I have somebody with me, but when I’m solo, I would just have to pick up the yak and carry it over my head to the launch spot. Its really one of the reasons I went with the compass over the outback is that at the end of the day, I think the outback is going to be much too heavy for me to carry over my head back to my truck and the weight of the compass is closer to the weight of my old outback.

Anyway, I’ve read some of the old posts like this one: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66546

It seems that the compass side handle strap kit #71190031 and the H-rails # 84626001 may not be intended for the purpose of lifting and providing stability while I carry by kayak to and from my launch. I can use the front and rear handles when I’ve got someone to help me but I’m outta luck when I’m by myself.

Questions:
Is there a mod that I can add to the compass that will help me move the kayak without voiding the warranty?

If so do those mods need to be installed by a certified Hobie Dealer or can I do it myself?

Thanks in advance

Pickle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

X2---I have the same question Pickle. You beat me to it. Can we mount the old style handles on the Compass and will they be sturdy enough to carry and lift the boat with without voiding our warrantee.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

From the link in your post I installed the nylon / plastic handles on my 2019 Compass using wall fasteners (Got it from a post here) and no issues to date. Got from Austin Kayak for $10 - $20 for pair.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66546

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

from the previous post by mmiller....

...... "The Compass was designed as a basic kayak. Before the Passport was the price leader." ...... They (the Handles) are used to roll the boat over, but not to hold and balance over your head"

The Compass may be basic when compared to the outback or PA series but even the Passport comes with handles. Surely there's a solution.

Pickle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've ordered the handle kit from Hobie, and I'll let you know when I get them and install them. Seems they should work.