Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to raise the seat of my Compass a little so I can use the area for some storage. I currently have the Mariner Sales Compass seat risers, but am a little apprehensive about installing them, as I would need to drill a hole on the top of each seat post. Has anyone done this? Any issues with doing so? Has anyone tried a different way to install? I had someone contact me about using zip ties and double sided tape.

The other option is the Berleypro risers, which are a much easier install, but don’t raise as high and are quite a bit more expensive.

Anyone feedback from those with experience with either of these would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got two sets of the Mariner Sails risers on the way to install on two 2021 Compasses that are in my fleet. I'll post a report here after I receive and install them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed them recently on my 2018 compass. Picked up SS screws, washers, and nuts at Home Depot. I have the rectangular hatch installed so access is a little easier. Installation wasn’t hard, but reaching in with a ratchet while screwing from the top is a pain. I had to back the handle screws out some because the screws for them were in the way of the ratchet, I didn’t remove them - just backed them out about half way. Overall, a fairly easy install but like most things inside the hull, it can be bit tedious. I did have to cut the stitching on the seat strap loops so they were long enough to adjust.

BTW, I’m happy with the risers. I’m able to fit my tackle box under the seat now with room to spare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed two sets of the Mariner Sails risers today on two different 2021 Compass kayaks. The round hatch had to come out to do the install even though I'm 6'3" tall and have long arms. After removing the hatch and cutting the wire ties that hold the foam flotation in place and sliding it out of the way, I test mounted everything and used a pencil to make reference marks for where the mounts needed to go. That was probably not necessary since the mounts are made to only fit in the exact location where they need to be installed, but I wanted to ensure that I only had to drill once. After drilling all 4 mounting holes, I had my wife hold the boat on its side and then I bolted on the the two "low" side front and back mounts using a 1/4" ratchet with deep socket on the inside along with a ratcheting phillips screwdriver on the topside. Next, I rolled the boat over and bolted on the front and back mounts for that side. Finally, I re-installed the round hatch, zip-tied the foam flotation back in place and done. It took me about 30mins on the first boat and 20mins on the second. I'd call it a pretty straight forward and easy install for someone with some basic mechanical skills.

A plano 3740 tackle box now easily slides under the seat now with me sitting in it. These risers seems to be very well made and I was definitely impressed with the fit tolerance that they are manufactured too. Hope this helps someone.