Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my new Compass after waiting months. About 1/2 hr into my 1st trip, the seat back padeye broke.

My dealer gave me a new padeye, which I installed without issue.

2nd trip today and the padeye broke within minutes.

Is there some attachment method or adjustment I need to be on the lookout for?

Can I get padeyes made of metal or something other than the cheap plastic? (They break at the padeye loop).

I see old threads of similar issues, would have hoped they were corrected in newer models.

NOT a happy new Hobie owner :(

Any suggestions welcome. Hope not to have to return kayak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:19 am 
Site Admin

That is unusual on any Compass that is within the past few years of production.

Model is 2021? Be sure the hook is on the eye and in alignment with the straps under load. Fully recline? Your weight?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

- Model is a brand new 2021
- The straps are aligned to the best of my ability and knowledge
- The break occurs when the seat back is in a normal upright position
- My weight is 270

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are switching to deck pad eye (like are found on the bow and stern) to eliminate this concern - you could add these parts to your deck and increase the margin. (seat capacity is 270 - so it's right at the upper limit I think that might be contributing)

list of items:
Chrome padeye - 71220001 (x2)/
Rivet - 8012001 (x4)/
Screw in - 71115001 (these would just go in place of the old plastic eyes - not required but makes it flush.

You can also through-bolt the pad eyes instead of using rivets - with a washer and lock nut using some 10-32 screws

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
We are switching to deck pad eye (like are found on the bow and stern) to eliminate this concern - you could add these parts to your deck and increase the margin. (seat capacity is 270 - so it's right at the upper limit I think that might be contributing)

list of items:
Rivet - 8012001 (x4)/
Screw in - 71115001 (these would just go in place of the old plastic eyes - not required but makes it flush.

You can also through-bolt the pad eyes instead of using rivets - with a washer and lock nut using some 10-32 screws

Could you elaborate on the optimal placement for the new padeyes?

Is this something my dealer could do in conjunction with your assistance or advice?

Love the compass, just want to enjoy it reliably.

Thanks for the response.

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wanted to add a reply, to add a bit more context and history...

I appreciate the prompt and informative support from Hobie on this thread. I discussed the possible deck padeye modification with my dealer and he advised against making any new holes in the deck. Instead we reviewed the seat installation process and possible pinch points for the clips and padeyes.

I now pay close attention to the placement of the clips on the padeyes and make sure the seat straps are not twisted. I've been out at leasta half dozen times and have had no issues.

This is not to say I think the current design is optimal, and glad Hobie is considering changes to the way the seat is attached.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:

list of items:
Rivet - 8012001 (x4)/

Jbernier,
Where are you guys placing the Chrome padeyes? Pics? I bought my Compass back in Dec. 2017 and have never had an issue with the plastic eyelets. Have noticed that they are getting a bit worn so am going to replace them. Appreciate the assistance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the orginal padeye. they are a pain to orient the hook properly. (the shop manager i buy from showed me his method) i lean the seat down forward, before even putting the seat on the resting points. do the hooks first!! you can only hook it up one way. i come at it from the top and make sure the hook is sitting straight and pulling directly back. then start to lift the seat back while i put the seat onto the resting points. it keeps anything from binding. i did it wrong once and i heard it clunk and felt the seat jam into place as the hook slipped in the padeye. i am lucky it didnt break.

i havent broken them yet. but you do have to handle with care.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Update. The Compass is coming with an all-new seat for 2022. The seat adjustment strap attaches to the seat frame. The seat attaches to the hull in a new way. That places the loads on the frame and is much tougher. The seat is more comfortable too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i see they elected not to mess with perfection and leave that cup holder alone! :D sahweet!!

the seat looks awesome. curious if you can get a thin tackle box underneath now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some close up shots of the new seat, its attachment system and a sense of space underneath the seat would be appreciated. And, some day in a galaxy far, far away the Hobie Compass cup holder design will be understood.
David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

^^ might be easier to redesign cups:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the new seat compatible with the 2021 Compass models? I've seen the new seat and it looks much more comfortable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vagabond91 wrote:
Is the new seat compatible with the 2021 Compass models? I've seen the new seat and it looks much more comfortable

Sorry no, the hull had to be modified for the seat to fit on 2022 style boats - so a new seat unfortunately cannot work on a 2021 or older unit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New seat doesn't allow a vertical rectangular hatch to be installed.
New seat is thin alloy and fly screen, very cheap and nasty and inferior to 2021 and earlier seat - these are my dealers comments (word out of my dealers mouth, not mine but i agree 1000% having seen both).
New seat should have been a vantage ct, it would fit easy, take little modification of hull and be far superior to both old and new compass seat - hobie elected to save money, not improve on design. I'm considering modifying a new compass and fitting a vantage ct I have from another Hobie, would only take a couple of hours.