Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bungee in front of seat?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a bungee with a single hook which is in front of the seat (not the seat holder bungee) ... any thoughts on what this is and how it's used? I'm sure it's critical to either the performance or safety of operation the Compass :o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is used to clip on to your pedals with one pedal up and one down to keep them flat against the hull and avoid damage when landing or in very shallow water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ddwineguy wrote:
That is used to clip on to your pedals with one pedal up and one down to keep them flat against the hull and avoid damage when landing or in very shallow water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ... thats what it is for, but can you explain how to use this? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hook the hook to one of the pedal cranks. This pulls that crank aft until the fins are up flat against the bottom of the boat. Great for when hanging on a beach and then trying to carry the boat. Keeps the fins up against the hull and not dangling down and catching on the ground/dock or whatever.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Hook the hook to one of the pedal cranks. This pulls that crank aft until the fins are up flat against the bottom of the boat. Great for when hanging on a beach and then trying to carry the boat. Keeps the fins up against the hull and not dangling down and catching on the ground/dock or whatever.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On kayaks with a sail kit, you can also wrap the bungee around both pedal shafts and hook back on to itself (loosen the cord at the hook if more slack is needed). This keeps both fins in the down position for a makeshift centerboard. We do this all the time in our Oasis when sailing upwind in a stiff wind. Improves tracking and reduces sideslip. Not that the Oasis with a sail kit beats all that well...

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a parts # for that bungee?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:

I’m still new and haven’t launched from a beach yet. I’m worried that just pulling the fins up to allow me to drag the kayak onto the beach will damage the fins.

Are there guidelines on what is safe for a beach launch or landing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We always pull our drives before beaching. If beaching with the drives in the flutter position (against hull) doesn’t break or bend anything, it will definitely increase the likelihood of getting sand and grit inside the drive mechanisms. Anytime we are approaching land to beach the kayak we pull the drives while still in deep enough water (fins must be in the straight down position to remove drive) and paddle in.

We weren’t so careful 15 years ago when we bought our first Hobie kayaks with Mirage drives and I spent a lot of time on repairs and some money on parts (mostly masts and fins).

Peter