Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish some huge reservoirs with areas of deep water that contain all sorts of structure, so my primary concern is being able to use charts/GPS/down imaging to find it, mark it, and return to it. My top candidate right now is a Lowrance Elite FS 7, which can come with either a down imaging, or a much larger down and side imaging transducer. I've got some experience with DI, but nothing with side scan, and the price difference is not huge. The main concern is going to SI, I would need a larger transducer which wouldn't fit in my 2022 Compass, so I'd have to mount it outside the hull with a shield, VS under the included plate.

Does anyone have experience with side imaging and find it worth the hassle and a bit of risk of not having a nice flush transducer install? I do fish some banks with a lot of stumps/rock piles/etc so I could see it being useful, just a bit of a trade off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my sidescan. I use it all the time. I have a Helix 7 and have the transducer mounted in the Lowrance ready spot with the Burley Pro cover. It works perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

spamcan wrote:

Does anyone have experience with side imaging and find it worth the hassle and a bit of risk of not having a nice flush transducer install? I do fish some banks with a lot of stumps/rock piles/etc so I could see it being useful, just a bit of a trade off.

This is my first experience with side imaging (Garmin 73sv), and it was well worth the hassle of installing a BerleyPro housing for the transducer. The housing is tough enough that I'm not overly concerned about damaging it, but it is a bit of snag point when loading/unloading the Compass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum :)

spamcan wrote:
Does anyone have experience with side imaging

First thing, i have no experience with SI, but I'm wondering too how to install a SI transducer on my new Compass.
I'm interested in the Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV (side view = Side Imaging) with the GT52 transducer.
I load my Compass on the roof of the car, and I wouldn't want the transducer sticking out below the kayak. If I have to, why not, but if I can do otherwise then yes. So I looked for a solution, and i searched a lot on the net and I think I have some solutions, or rather the beginning of a solution.

spamcan wrote:
I'd have to mount it outside the hull with a shield, VS under the included plate.

You don't have to install the transducer under the kayak, there are few others solutions, like Nicola's (great idea !!), here :
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51295

or a setup like this :
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54199

or something like that :

I also think that cutting the plate under the transducer brings certain advantages, such as (especially) avoiding dirt substances such as sand or algae, and i suppose it's better for the tranducer signal.
Otherwise, I think it's even possible to make a kind of Hobie Guardian for the compass, but that's another discussion :mrgreen: 8)

Have a good day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to kayaking and anxious to use my compass duo for fishing. I too am looking to mount a fish finder and would like get one with side imaging. I have seen the posts and videos using a Burley Pro cover but would really like one that would fit inside the Lowrance compartment. Just wondering if there is one that might do that? It seems like the Garmin Echomap but am not sure it will work. Appreciate the feedback.