Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my very first Hobie just last month and have had it out in the water 5 times. First time was a short (30 min or less) intro ride. Second and third time were out in the ocean in big water. 4th time was at the mouth of the water in super choppy (and big water). I had a bit of water in my hull after trips 2-4 and wrote it off as water coming in the hatch. Trip 5 was a 5.5 hour 10 mile ride on a calm river. Got back and had water in the hull. Filled the hull with hose water and discovered the rear (left) scupper was leaking so there is a hole inside.

My dealer was super cool about working with Hobie to fix this issue but I am without my kayak during the prime salmon fishing season here in the PNW. I loved my setup for the few times I got to use it so am super bummed. Waiting to hear from Hobie and crying a little as well. I read reviews about the Outback having hull issues and also the 2022 Compass having cracks under the seat but didn't see so many hull issues on the 2021 Compass so bought with confidence. :( Waiting is hard but I have hope things will be resolved.

BTW: Yes, I use the Hobie Scupper with beach wheel cart that I bought with the kayak. I used foam cushioning between the cart and hull. If Hobie makes and sells a scupper cart, the expectation is that I should be able to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:53 am 
Site Admin

It happens, unfortunately. They test for this, but maybe opened up post production somehow.

Our warranty rate is a small fraction of 1%. We make a LOT of boats, so these things happen.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just heard back from my dealer and he was able to reproduce the leak but he also said it was a very small leak.

I agree the leak is pretty small but it is under the water line and I take this out in the deadly Pacific NW Ocean waters. I am uncomfortable having a hull that leaks even a little out there as the torsion of the big water can make a little crack bigger pretty quickly. That said, I am hearing from other kayakers that hulls do leak and are still safe. Am I being unreasonable? Is there some amount of leaking in a hull that is to be expected or okay? I have had two plastic kayaks prior to this purchase (and I was actually really ROUGH with those kayaks) and never experienced water in the hull in those. Even the one that had a hatch didn't leak at the hatch. I never took either of these in the ocean though. I bought the Compass specifically to feel confident in the ocean.

My dealer said he is submitting a warranty claim for a proper repair. Not sure what to expect from that but am happy to be able to pick up the boat and use it on the rivers and safer waters until it can be fixed properly. I have grown super fond of the boat so looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and continuing on with my salmon fishing. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So... Hobie did send me a replacement hull (2023) and the new seat as well. There are some things I like better about the 2023 and some things not as much. The seat is way more comfortable for me as it is smaller and I am small. I assume big guys will not like it as much. The seat sits more forward which make my bow go further into the water unless I lean way back. I don't love this as much but if I would put weight in the back, it would probably be a perfect trim.

But the most important thing is this hull doesn't leak and that makes me so, so happy. I took it out for 4 hours and not one drop inside. It is so nice to not have water in my hull all the time. I even rinsed it off with a hose on jet setting and the hatch didn't leak.

Life is good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2017 compass that leaks around the holes for the beach wheels but have never used the holes for anything, including wheel struts for beach wheels. The cracks are small and I have yet to find a sealant that can bond to the black insert hole liner and hull. I usually clean up around the crack and test another sealant to get a few months without leaks. I would take it to my dealer but I have the kayak at my son's house in Southern Florida (14 hours away). I don't mind patching now and then but need to find something better. Welding might work but the two hole liners (tubes) would need to be removed. Not sure if they are a press fit but that may be the case since the cracks look like they may be the result of a press fit. Any ideas?