Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turbo fins and storage
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a new 2022 which I'm loving far, but I'm curious about a couple of things.

Has anyone started with the standard fins and gone to the turbos? If so how much of a difference did you notice? The stock speed is perfectly fine for now, but once I get my storage figured out, electronics in, and start looking to use this boat for some tournaments, I wouldn't mind being faster if there's a noticeable improvement.

What storage mods have you all done? I knew based on my paddle kayak I'd want more storage at my feat, coming from boats with consoles, so I had the dealer move the circular hatch up front and add a rectangular hatch in it's place which has been useful. I'm thinking map pockets or similar on the sides for random gear, then potentially something under the seat if there's a good solution... currently I use 3600 size tackle boxes in my other boats, so if there's a good under seat solution it'd be great. Otherwise I'll have to rig something in a crate which is fine but a little more awkward to work this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The new kickup fins Turbo fins is where its at. The normal fins have slightly less resistance and therefore slightly slower than the older non kick-up types. I lost a flipper when peddling fast in a current so I upgraded to Turbo fins. It was totally worth it! Although it cost me $200+ and would have been a warranty replacement. I wouldn't upgrade the old non kick-up drive to Turbo though. I felt too much resistance when peddling vs the normal size. I've had both types of drives with 2018, 2022 Compasses and 2022 Outbacks. I want to upgrade to Turbo Fins for my other 3 2022 compasses but I can't justify the cost right now.