Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Long ago I owned one of the early Hobie paddle kayaks (it was screaming yellow) and liked it very well. But then I downsized (smaller sailboat) and it was too big to deck-load. So I went about 10 years with strictly paddle kayaks. Now old age has caught up with me and I'm making the transition to the Dark Side (motorboat) which means I can carry a larger kayak again.

So... I'm looking for something stable, suitable for my increasing weight (sigh)... and I'd sure like to have pedal power again. I often have to fight wind and chop, and being able to use the leg muscles is helpful. Definitely considering another Hobie.

The main issues with my original Hobie (would be about 15 years old if I still owned it) were: corrosion and barnacles on the drive unit; collisions with underwater features like rocks and sunken logs, which beat up the fins and mechanism; awkwardness of beach landings, where I had to yank the drive unit out PDQ before I grounded the kayak; water coming in the drive unit aperture when I was paddling w/o the drive installed; a rather wet ride; no reverse (sometimes clumsy trying to back out of narrow waterways or pools). And the ever present anxiety about losing the drive unit overboard when launching or retrieving the yak :-)

I have read reviews of the Compass and Outback (I think the Outback is maybe a little too long to stow neatly) that suggest some of these issues have been addressed. I even read one review that asserted the drive fins now fold into recesses in the hull bottom so the boat can be landed on a sandy beach without removing the drive unit; however, I don't see this claim made in the specs on Hobie's official site. So, for all you Compass owners...

1) for regular salt water use, how durable is the drive assembly?
2) how effective are the kick-up fins in reducing damage from hitting rocks or logs in shallow water?
3) how do you manage your beach landings?
4) how stable is the hull in moderate chop and swell?
5) how wet is the ride if going into moderate chop and wind?
6) how manoeuvrable is the updated model?
7) how easy to use/useful is the new reversing feature?

I'm inclined to buy another Hobie because of how sturdy, useful, and fun the old one was. But there are other pedal drive kayaks on the market now so I guess I should compare.

If anyone has owned the Vibe Shearwater for example, how would you say it compares?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know that hull, but a few comments in this low activity area. Aren't the competing fin drives obsolete versions whose Hobie patent expired 20 years ago? You should be able to tell by zooming in on pictures. I can't imagine how your drive got grotty; mine look brand new after many salty years due to regular strong flushing including blasting out pockets that catch seagrass and regular spray lube.

I don't get your landing problem. I have every single loose item lanyarded with elastic cord (not bungee but that strong tidy sheathed thing used to anchor fishing rods). Lanyard paddle and everything, such as a well drive plug if you like. It seems reckless to expose the fins to beach sand; the hinges will pick up abrasive junk if nothing else.

180 always sounded like a terrible needless idea to me, and the quiet feedback seems to be it's complex mechanism requires much maintenance over the years. Simple kickup version supposed to be the most bulletproof ever. I would still try to avoid hitting anything. Use the paddle for shallows or reverse, which spreads your fitness to avoid the drive shaping you like a kangaroo with powerful legs and limp arms. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1) for regular salt water use, how durable is the drive assembly?
2) how effective are the kick-up fins in reducing damage from hitting rocks or logs in shallow water?
3) how do you manage your beach landings?
4) how stable is the hull in moderate chop and swell?
5) how wet is the ride if going into moderate chop and wind?
6) how manoeuvrable is the updated model?
7) how easy to use/useful is the new reversing feature?

1). Very durable. just flush it with clean water after use, lube it every 3-4th use.
2). Kick up fins are great, but it's always best to avoid debris and for shallows keep the fins against the hull.
3). I remove the drive first then paddle in.
4). Very stable. havent been flipped yet
5). Negligible.
6). Great. Even better with a 360 drive.
7). Piece-0-cake. ;)