Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just told my wife that I'm ordering one. Her reaction: "what was wrong with the old one?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baggerben, at that weight, the standard cart would be fine, but if you ever use the cart with the inflatable beach wheels, you'll never go back. I launch Revos and Outbacks off of the beach and those beach wheels are a blessing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just seen the baby two days ago. :wink:

- the seat is simple, only stuck to the kayak by straps
- the rudder is basic, it turns very (too much?) easy
- in case of rectangular hatch, best way will be to fit it in length, as the foam is much near the center
- in case of rectangular hatch (or not), there is a pre-design round under the net to put the round hatch
- the shape is plain, it might cut the water and the rear looks like it will be very stable

Can't wait to try on the water... :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Baggerben wrote:
I just wish for more color choices. Do you think the standard scupper cart is sufficient? Should we look into the trax 2? We live off a lake with a boat ramp , but not far if we get brave enough is the ocean with Beach access...

That standard plug-in cart would be just fine on hard surfaces...if you're planning on transporting over sand, the trax 2 or trax 2-30 cart would be suited for that, while also working on hard surfaces/concrete.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had my compass out 2 times striper fishing in back bay. 1st time in chop and it handled well and was extremely stable, fast, and also paddled great. 2nd time in flat conditions, loved everything about it and I have been in an outback for 14 years. Had to tune the rudder to make the control tighter so the current didn't push the rudder around, also added map pockets for some additional storage. I think it is a great design and the lighter weight is awesome for loading and unloading solo. My next trip I will use it with turbo find to see how much the speed increases although the standard find were awesome for fishing the flats during low tide, I could pedal where I normally would flutter kick with turbos. I am very impressed with the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im glad that Hobie has an entry kayak; however I think that the Compass should have options.

1. MD 180
2. Vantage seats
3. 8” hatch already installed up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As the market for the compass is the rental fleets i think Hobie hit the mark. The least amount of things to break as possible.

On the flip side, i like it. I to wish Hobie allowed for some options. The vantage seat alone will keep me from buying one. The TI and PA’s are far superior. I just wish they would have made it compatible. But i see why they didnt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Defy wrote:
I to wish Hobie allowed for some options. The vantage seat alone will keep me from buying one. I just wish they would have made it compatible.
When you sat in it, what was it about the Compass seat you didn't like? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Defy wrote:
I to wish Hobie allowed for some options. The vantage seat alone will keep me from buying one. I just wish they would have made it compatible.
When you sat in it, what was it about the Compass seat you didn't like? 8)

Lower back doesn’t have the same support. Felt like my arse was slipping out. I might have been able to adjust it more but it doesn’t have the boa. I think i am spoiled now ;)

Also the angle was off for my peddle style.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Defy, I initially had some issues with the seat back as well with the factory settings. The lumbar and upper back are both adjustable but you have to really crank on them to make the changes. Once done though, I found the Compass seat just as comfortable as the Vantage seat. I use an i-comfort seat pad on both seats for extended sitting while pedaling. I suspect the i-comfort promotes better circulation and find it most comfortable for all the seating applications. It's easy enough just to set it on the seat -- it doesn't slip.

So if you like the Compass except for seat comfort you may find that a few adjustments could solve your problem and save a good chunk of change in the process! IMO, from a performance and handling view point, this boat has some excellent unique qualities that make it very attractive. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:

So if you like the Compass except for seat comfort you may find that a few adjustments could solve your problem and save a good chunk of change in the process! IMO, from a performance and handling view point, this boat has some excellent unique qualities that make it very attractive. 8)

Ha, save money with Hobie ;) Between the TI, PA 17 and the Eclipse 12 I think Hobie has taken plenty of my money. But all well spent!

I was looking at the compass as a truck-able solo unit so I didn’t have to bring my PA and a trailer (and possibly sell the PA). I’ll give it a year or so and see. I might have to move back to the mid west again which means small lakes and not so fun for the TI.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just checked out the new Compass. Very nice piece of gear! I have still not tried it in the water but will take the first chance I get and give it a try.

I am considering to upgrade my small cheepo "china yak" in yhe future to a better suited and more stable small craft and the Compass is definately a contender.

A few issues that I would like to ask about

-Revo vs Compass... The two seems fairly competitive in price and specs! Will the Compass replace the Revo in the future?
-The deck on the Compass feels very soft and "spungy", any problems with this maybe cracking up in the future?
-The seat is not as comfy as the CT Vantage seats that I really love on my TI. Anyway to change/upgrade theese for the CT Vantage seats?
-Colors? Sorry guys but I really dont like the colors at all. ("Vanity" is my middle name.) "Slimy Green" and "Baby blue" just isnt my cup of tea I guess, LOL! I would really love a Ivory Dune! This would really raise my interest! Any plans on new colors in the future?

All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Gustav, ;)

Husse0416 wrote:
-Revo vs Compass... The two seems fairly competitive in price and specs! Will the Compass replace the Revo in the future?

No comparison, not the same shape

Quote:
-The deck on the Compass feels very soft and "spungy", any problems with this maybe cracking up in the future?

I had same constat but nobody seems to worry about that.
Seems on the first models ther's not enough material on this place, but nobody confirmed it

Quote:
-The seat is not as comfy as the CT Vantage seats that I really love on my TI. Anyway to change/upgrade theese for the CT Vantage seats?

no

Quote:
-Colors? Sorry guys but I really dont like the colors at all. ("Vanity" is my middle name.) "Slimy Green" and "Baby blue" just isnt my cup of tea I guess, LOL! I would really love a Ivory Dune! This would really raise my interest! Any plans on new colors in the future?

Don't think so, as the Compass would be to close to Outback...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

felvic wrote:
Hi Gustav, ;)

Husse0416 wrote:

No comparison, not the same shape

Quote:

I had same constat but nobody seems to worry about that.
Seems on the first models ther's not enough material on this place, but nobody confirmed it

Quote:

no

Quote:

Don't think so, as the Compass would be to close to Outback...

Thanks for your input! :D

I was sort of directing my questions to some official Hobie spokesperson but you might be right and I also guess next season models are not yet decided.

As for colors this would be sad because in my community all our fishing buddies likes the Compass but we all just hate the colors, they suck!
:)

I allways wanted Hobie to accept custom orders on special color options (at an extra cost of course) even if delivery would take a long time. "Personalize the yak!"
:D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally sold my Revo11 last night, now I can go get my Compass! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Received mine and try it on water saturday.

Good points:

- hull shape is precise and silencious
- 6 Kgs less
- rudder under the hull like PA

Bad points:

- The place we have the ass on the seat is not long enough, back of the ass is hurting back bar. We need a cushion.
- Stable like an Outback but slightly rolling, like Pa12
- impossible to fit a round hatch on back
- Back of the hull is not square, there is a point. Very difficult to put the kayak on top of car, it's sliding on ground all the time
- Color is dirtying, the kayak will finish like a camo :)

Next step is trying on sea...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next