Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

IMO, the introduction of the 2018 Compass signals a new direction in Hobie's kayak line. In a nutshell, it is less weight, less money, stand-up stable and elegantly simple. Basic specs are 12' long, 34" wide, 68 lb., and 400 lb. capacity

The weight and money part have to do with less standard equipment. The Drive is the GT, an outstanding Drive, but without reverse. The seat is simple -- adjustable backrest and lumbar support, no adjustable legs, seat height or seat angle. It comes with just one 8" hatch, no side pockets and simplified rudder. You'll be able to add several of these items back in, of course, for a price, but you can pick and choose what you want.

Many will appreciate the lower weight. On the scale of weights, Here's how it shapes up according to Hobie:
Sport..........61 lbs.
Revo 11......64 lbs.
Compass....68 lbs.
Revo 13......70.5 lbs.
Revo 16......75.5 lbs.
Outback......81 lbs.
PA 12.........105 lbs.
PA 14.........120.5 lbs.

Price appears to be starting at $1950.

Hobie didn't cut any corners on the design. Looking at the hull bottom, notice there are only 3 holes (not including the Lowrance ready transducer plate) with each of them serving double duty as Drive / cart insert and drainage. This gives the hull an excellent streamline surface that should glide very well. The "sponsons" toward the stern become prominent, like the PA series, for stability and improved exit wake, which should add better speed performance for its size.

From the profile view, you see a PA-style kick-up rudder, shielded by a small skeg and skid plate for protection -- simple and functional.

Here you can compare the Compass with the Revo 13 (top) and Outback (bottom). I tried to set them up as close to scale as possible, aligning at the seat and hatch. Notice how spacious the Compass' cargo area and cockpit are. There also seems to be more volume to support the cargo load -- very nice.

I obviously haven't tried it on the water, but it looks like a great performer, very utilitarian, and perhaps the first of a new generation of Hobies. Interesting, the early Hobies were also quite spartan, so in that way, Hobie has come full circle. On the other hand, the this new boat is faster, more stable, higher quality and generations ahead of the early models. The Compass looks like a lot of bang for the buck! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent idea, many new buyers will enter the market via this rather than go to the other emerging brands.

Could you option in the reverse drive if you wanted to?

No midship handles??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I started with the Tandem Island and finally decided fishing was more important, so I was looking at the PA12 & PA14. However the weight (and price but not so much) was an impediment. Since it was mid-August I figured I'd wait to see what Hobie would release.

This new model is exactly what I want with one glaring exception. Who in the marketing/sales department thought it was a good idea to not offer the 180 Mirage Drive at least as an option? Seriously? From what I can tell, there's a $200 difference between the two drives if purchased aftermarket, so why not just make it a $200-$300 option? It comes in a separate box anyway.

For the $1350 difference between the Compass and the PA12 I'm not paying $820 for the 180 drive, leaving a $530 difference.

This is the type of misstep that has potential customers looking at other brands.

Please tell me there is a 180 drive option.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boo hoo hoo (no mast base) boo hoo :cry: :cry: :cry:

...still looks like a pretty good development on the theme though! Not everybody wants to sail and some people still can't understand why anyone really needs to be able to pedal backwards!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:

I was just thinking the same - this boat has the makings of a great little sailer (wider and more stable than a Revo or Outback)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

mingle wrote:
stobbo wrote:
....this boat has the makings of a great little sailer (wider and more stable than a Revo or Outback)
There is a possibility this could be done. The inflatable sail kit uses a mast step and shroud arrangement that could possibly be adapted to the Compass.

Image Image

A few details would need to be worked out regarding hull access, sail placement and rudder size, but nothing insurmountable. The nice thing about this sail is you can rake it to balance the helm -- works well within limits. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scfoster wrote:
I started with the Tandem Island and finally decided fishing was more important, so I was looking at the PA12 & PA14. However the weight (and price but not so much) was an impediment. Since it was mid-August I figured I'd wait to see what Hobie would release.

This new model is exactly what I want with one glaring exception. Who in the marketing/sales department thought it was a good idea to not offer the 180 Mirage Drive at least as an option? Seriously? From what I can tell, there's a $200 difference between the two drives if purchased aftermarket, so why not just make it a $200-$300 option? It comes in a separate box anyway.

For the $1350 difference between the Compass and the PA12 I'm not paying $820 for the 180 drive, leaving a $530 difference.

This is the type of misstep that has potential customers looking at other brands.

Please tell me there is a 180 drive option.

No reason individual dealers couldn't do that option for you.They will have both in stock. Lack of factory alternate options makes worldwide shipping easier rather than attempting to have custom packages sent from Hobie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Definitely looking forward to an OTW test. My only complaint is the lack of it being available in the dune or camo colors. Maybe next year?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The lack of side 'grab' handles is a bit of a concern (or I can't see them) :shock:. I use mine on my Outback to flip it over onto the gunnels when loading onto my box trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really wish they retained the left/right steering option from the PA. I'll have to figure something out, as I've tried left hand steering on my i11s and it's no bueno for the way I fish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zarbs wrote:
The lack of side 'grab' handles is a bit of a concern (or I can't see them) :shock:. I use mine on my Outback to flip it over onto the gunnels when loading onto my box trailer.

FYI - yes, the compass has 'molded-in' side grips on both sides, they are on the inside of the deck near the seat for the best balance point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RoadRunner, very useful comparison!
I'm very excited for this hull. I've been dreaming of an Outback with a Revo bow for some time now, but the lower price and weight are unexpected bonuses to me.

Stobbo, yeah, count me among those who don't need reverse gear or sailing gear in my primary fishing kayak. I will, however, keep my Revo13 and sail if the bug bites me again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep it clean, simplicity. I like it. Good job Hobie! Make one that is as light or lighter than a Sport, under 10ft and I'm a buyer. Curious how it rides in the water compared to a Sport or Revo 11?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well for us they were perfect. So I ordered two and was told we were the first two to be getting them in our area. I hope all meets our expectations but the specs seemed great. We got one in each color. We will keep everyone updated and were told buy the end of September we should have them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just wish for more color choices. Do you think the standard scupper cart is sufficient? Should we look into the trax 2? We live off a lake with a boat ramp , but not far if we get brave enough is the ocean with Beach access...