Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is my solution for the paddle holding option which was not very workable on the factory setup. The seat straps severely impact the knob and trying to secure the paddle. It's my understanding that Hobie moved that knob to strap the paddle down, but since I have H-Rails, it's still not a quick secure solution for me.

I understand that the Compass is an entry point for the Mirage Drive kayaks. It's an awesome deal by Hobie! But it also allows you to doll it up and have a great custom rig for less than an Outback. :wink:

This was my solution for holding the paddle. I have two new mounting plates ordered, but cannibalized the 2 mounting plates off the PA14 rod holders for testing. They will go back on the PA and the new plates installed with the minimum holes drilled in the plates. I like the plates better than the H-Rail mounts that have the track slot. This setup allows the RotoGrips to be lower and gives a little distance from the rod holder on the right side. It also allows the option to add some bungee straps like the Hobie Taco Clip. I will use the factory bungee setup for transporting my Power-Pole spike to and from fishing. It works perfect for that.

I sat in the seat on the trailer and practiced removing the paddle, practice paddling and returning the paddle to the holders. Worked like a charm! Will test it on the water in the Gulf this weekend.

Also understand that Hobie is shipping the Compass with this logo on both sides of the bow. Some folks like it. Kinda glad I got an early one without it. Still a nice logo.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice solution to the paddle attachment. Still debating H-Rails (or not). And I like the logo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve can you tell me what straps you're using to hold down your blackpak?
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fiddlefadel wrote:
Steve can you tell me what straps you're using to hold down your blackpak?
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

I just use 2 bungee/shock cord straps I made. I always keep some of the cord material and hooks around. Have never left the original bungee on the rear cargo area of my Pro Angler or Compass. Just made 2 straps (one for each side) and run them like the picture shows. The Blackpak stays snug and never moves. When the Blackpak is off the Compass, I just run the cords to opposite side connectors on the back to make an "X" across the back. Used the same setup on my Pro Angler.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you!
Dave