Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass Questions....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1. Looking seriously at this boat vs. an Outback, would anyone with experience on the water recommend turbo fins vs. the standard GT. Would there be an appreciable increase in speed, performance?

2. This is more for Matt, does the addition of the Square hatch negate the warranty? I love the tackle management system and really can keep nearly all my gear only in that space. I then only use a few pack of soft plastics and a few additional topwater lures, etc.

I am going to check out the Compass Owners Facebook page for more customization ideas.. TIA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Cdcraw550 wrote:
1. Looking seriously at this boat vs. an Outback, would anyone with experience on the water recommend turbo fins vs. the standard GT. Would there be an appreciable increase in speed, performance?

2. This is more for Matt, does the addition of the Square hatch negate the warranty? I love the tackle management system and really can keep nearly all my gear only in that space. I then only use a few pack of soft plastics and a few additional topwater lures, etc.

I am going to check out the Compass Owners Facebook page for more customization ideas.. TIA

Yes on the Turbo fins. Faster and with a slower cadence.

No on the warranty being voided. The hatch is recommended by us. Any work to install that or another accessory which causes an issue could limit warranty on that area, but the warranty would still be active.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Any work to install that or another accessory which causes an issue could limit warranty on that area, but the warranty would still be active.

Matt, does that mean that you recommend the dealers to do that work then? I am more than capable of doing that work, but would not want to void any portion of the warranty. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cdcraw550 wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Any work to install that or another accessory which causes an issue could limit warranty on that area, but the warranty would still be active.

Matt, does that mean that you recommend the dealers to do that work then? I am more than capable of doing that work, but would not want to void any portion of the warranty. Thanks so much!

Cdcraw550 - I do not believe that if you install the rectangular hatch yourself that it will affect your warranty if installed correctly. Hobie has a YouTube video for folks to use as a guide for installing the rectangular hatch and moving the circular round hatch to the front deck. Did mine myself. Easy to do and a perfect installation...lol! I posted pictures on the Hobie Compass Owners Facebook page. :wink:

Just my thoughts...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Cdcraw550 wrote:
mmiller wrote:

Cdcraw550 - I do not believe that if you install the rectangular hatch yourself that it will affect your warranty if installed correctly. Hobie has a YouTube video for folks to use as a guide for installing the rectangular hatch and moving the circular round hatch to the front deck. Did mine myself. Easy to do and a perfect installation...lol! I posted pictures on the Hobie Compass Owners Facebook page. :wink:

Just my thoughts...

Thanks Steve, I'll be checking that out today.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve (or anybody who has installed the Rectangular hatch)....

Do you find that the platform is sturdy and not affected in strength while you are standing. I stand to fish almost exclusively and want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that it will be functionally supportive if I add that rectangular hatch. I also want to add the tackle management system and drop in bucket (again making sure it fits down appropriately) and want to make sure all is good before I buy those parts.....TIA guys for any advice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cdcraw550 wrote:

Do you find that the platform is sturdy and not affected in strength while you are standing. I stand to fish almost exclusively and want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that it will be functionally supportive if I add that rectangular hatch. I also want to add the tackle management system and drop in bucket (again making sure it fits down appropriately) and want to make sure all is good before I buy those parts.....TIA guys for any advice.

I stand on my Compass a few times a trip, but normally sit as I don't do a lot of sight casting. I have never noticed any flexing of the floor when standing. I guess it all depends on your weight. The rectangular hatch has a back plate, so the hatch itself is very robust and built to be stood on. I have heard of one person complaining that the white rectangular bucket didn't fit all the way in due to hitting the bottom of the Compass. Zero issues with clearance on my setup.

You will have to adjust the foam blocks under the floor a little to allow the rectangular hatch to fit. Make sure the blocks on the right side do not interfere with the rudder deploy line. Again...no issues for me. I have a Pro Angler 14 and love the utility of the rectangular hatch. So I knew that it would be a must option for my Compass. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Cdcraw550 wrote:

I stand on my Compass a few times a trip, but normally sit as I don't do a lot of sight casting. I have never noticed any flexing of the floor when standing. I guess it all depends on your weight. The rectangular hatch has a back plate, so the hatch itself is very robust and built to be stood on. I have heard of one person complaining that the white rectangular bucket didn't fit all the way in due to hitting the bottom of the Compass. Zero issues with clearance on my setup.

You will have to adjust the foam blocks under the floor a little to allow the rectangular hatch to fit. Make sure the blocks on the right side do not interfere with the rudder deploy line. Again...no issues for me. I have a Pro Angler 14 and love the utility of the rectangular hatch. So I knew that it would be a must option for my Compass. :wink:

I'm glad that there are foam block adjacent to where the rectangular hatch will go as that somewhat alleviates my fear about the deck being sufficiently supportive for me to stand on. I stand for thirty to forty minutes at a time sight fishing at times. I really want that white bucket insert to fit so I wonder what was going on in the one instance where " I have heard of one person complaining that the white rectangular bucket didn't fit all the way in due to hitting the bottom of the Compass." Looks like I need to get my wish list together and do some pricing....