Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I'm looking pretty hard at the new compass. I had a PA14 years back, but always felt it was a little too much for my fishing style. I then got a 2015 outback and felt it was the perfect boat. Sold my outback last year to get a tandem paddle kayak for my son and I, but I really miss my hobie.

I really like the new compass and the reviews I'm seeing, but I saw a review stating that the deck around around the seat was flexing some, just curious if anyone has experienced it, or if it was an early-release and not a properly outfitted boat (foam blocks, etc). I do plan to add the square hatch if I get one, maybe that makes a difference?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Compass question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rectangular hatch will add some rigidity to the deck. Reports of deck flexing you're hearing about could potentially be a result of misplaced foam. Keep in mind, you can always add more foam under the sitting/standing area of the cockpit if you feel it's necessary. Using pool noodles, cutting them to the proper length and taping 3 or 4 of them together is a great way to DIY your own foam inserts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agree with what HStrech said. I took mine out before installing the square hatch and had no issues whatsoever. I'm 230 lbs for what it's worth. I also agree that it could have been foam placement but really don't see any issue with the Compass decking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds good. The one thing I didn't like about my outback was having the seat adjustment straps rub a blister on occasion. Seems like the compass seat is wider and shouldn't have that effect (on my big rear).

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have 6 trips and almost 45 hours on my Compass inshore in the Gulf. Love it! You will too! :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my compass yesterday and purchased the standard plug in cart. The cart instructions state that the kayak should rest on the collars and the support bar of the cart, but I can't get the collars to go low enough for the bottom of the kayak to rest on the foam support bar. If the kayak sits only on the collars, is this okay? I only use the cart occasionally to launch and when I clean the kayak up after a trip. It never sits on the cart for long.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LagunaFisher wrote:
I got my compass yesterday and purchased the standard plug in cart. The cart instructions state that the kayak should rest on the collars and the support bar of the cart, but I can't get the collars to go low enough for the bottom of the kayak to rest on the foam support bar. If the kayak sits only on the collars, is this okay? I only use the cart occasionally to launch and when I clean the kayak up after a trip. It never sits on the cart for long.

Thanks

I would think you should be fine. The scuppers are re-enforced. Will have to look at mine. I used my HD cart I had for my 2013 PA14. No issues so far. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just noticed the Hobie Fold n Stow cart doesn't have a crossbar for the boat to rest on, so I assume I'll be alright. I used to have a 2013 PA and had the PVC shims on the cart, I believe it was to prevent the kayak from sitting on the crossbar. Seems like it should be fine on a compass, but just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shims on the PA cart was to prevent the black collars from sliding all the way down and causing the wheels to rub against the hull when in use.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRAces wrote:
I would think you should be fine. The scuppers are re-enforced. Will have to look at mine. I used my HD cart I had for my 2013 PA14. No issues so far. :wink:

Not sure it doesn't put out of shape the hull over time... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had a hard time with the paddle holer while out on the water. Has anyone come up with a better solution to paddle storage? I see mariner sails has a cool looking idea on their "Pro" version. Has anyone tried it? Is it as simple as removing the bungee bases and screwing in the taco clips?

One of my favorite things about the compass is the ease of fishing sidesways and hanging my legs in the water. On the paddle side, I always end up kicking the paddle out of the bungee.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don’t see this as a Compass problem. I installed taco clips on my Outback and my bitter half’s Sport. Left the bungee alone, might come in handy some day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a compass tonight. I found the seat straps to be just a little too short resulting in a very upright seated position even when adjusted to full extension. My dealer just gave me traditional brass kayak seat clips that essentially allows a couple more inches of seat reclining adjustment so the top of the seat frame doesn't put too much pressure on your back. I also agree that the fore deck is quite flexy and I'm only 200 lbs. I plan on adding more foam support soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hygieneboy wrote:
I just bought a compass tonight. I found the seat straps to be just a little too short resulting in a very upright seated position even when adjusted to full extension. My dealer just gave me traditional brass kayak seat clips that essentially allows a couple more inches of seat reclining adjustment so the top of the seat frame doesn't put too much pressure on your back. I also agree that the fore deck is quite flexy and I'm only 200 lbs. I plan on adding more foam support soon.
The short straps were a known issue. Hobie has changed the design and your dealer was supposed to have switched them for straps that were the right size. I would contact your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ddwineguy wrote:
hygieneboy wrote:
The short straps were a known issue. Hobie has changed the design and your dealer was supposed to have switched them for straps that were the right size. I would contact your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed them as soon I got the kayak, as they don't allow you to put any stuff under the seat. :(

Just cut, make a solid knot and that's it!