Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have everything ready on the Compass and will make a second outing tomorrow (hitting West Bay of Galveston, TX). This will be the first time on the water with all of the upgrades so can't wait to see how she's does.

Really spent some time looking into upgrades and have decided to go with the following:

- Added Fish Finder to the H-Track
(I chose a Lowrance Hook-4 because it is compact, has GPS and is reasonably priced. Adding the transducer and power cables was pretty easy. Just followed Hobie's video and it was in place in no time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_NrpH3tRZo )

- Added Rod Holders to the H-Track
(I've been using YakAttack's Zooka Tube Rod Holders with 1.5" Screwball for some time now (on my PA-14) and I really like them. They offer a tremendous amount of flexibility, range of motion and are sturdy. http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/yakattack-zooka-tube-with-1-5-screwball/ )

- Added Square Hatch
(The square hatch upgrade is easy to do and adds a ton of extra storage. Most people are then moving their round hatch to the front of the Compass but I'm holding off on that to see if it's something that I really need. Also, I mounted my battery between the square hatch and seat because it takes weight off of the front of the Compass. Here's the link to Hobie's video on hatch installations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8eMLF7UODg )

- Added Side Pockets mounted below the H-Tracks
(Adding the side pockets was also easy. Just followed Hobie's video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8-iqSLUflE
=> Be careful with the screws on the Starboard side as they can hit the rudder cable. Here's a solution: First position the side pocket and run all of the screws all the way in. Then remove the four bottom screws and cut about 1/4" off of the tips. Then add Marine Goop sealant to the threads and "hand tightened" the screws back in place (do not over tighten). This will secure the side pocket while not interfering with the rudder cable. Note that there's no problem with the Port side pocket so no need to modify any screws there.
=> Also, if you are adding lifting handles (see directly below) be careful on the starboard side. Make sure to leave enough space between the rear of the side pocket and the cup holder to allow room for mounting the strap of the lifting handle. More simply put, just make sure you think through both the side pocket placement and the lifting handle placement before you attach either one.)

- Added Lifting Handles
(Decided to mount the lifting handles such that the Starboard lifting handle would cross over the cup holder space. It makes for an easy install and the lifting handle also holds any drinks in place.
I used the YakGear Handle Kit because it is the right length, it is flexible and it comes with all of the mounting hardware. https://yakgear.com/product/handle-kit-2-per-pack/ . Almost forgot to add that I used the nuts, washers and bolts for added strength (rather than the pop rivets). Access thru the square hatch made it easy to attach the backing nuts and washers.)

- Added Taco Clip for Storing Push Pole
(I added a YakGear Taco clip to the port side of the Compass and just to the rear of the seat. By doing so I can now place the point of my push pole thru one of the rear bungees of the Compass and then let the handle rest in the taco clip. It is easy and keeps the push pole out of the way. I also took the time to test out a paddle before mounting the Taco Clip (making sure that the paddle would rest easily in the Taco Clip while not interfering with the steering or my crate). I don't think I'll ever store a paddle there but it is an option. https://yakgear.com/product/taco-paddle-clip-kit/ )
Edit: I actually used the taco clip for my paddle during the outing and have to say that I really liked it. Might leave the paddle in the taco clip and move my stake out pole to the starboard side paddle holder.

- Added Keeper to the rear bungees to hold my crate securely in place.
(I use S shaped metal keepers (which came off of a rubber strap) attached to the rear bungee cords on the Compass. By using one at the front of the crate and one at the rear the S-shaped metal keepers hold the crate securely in place. It's also easy to hook or unhook the crate. Have done the same with my Outback and PA and it works great. Here's a link to a rubber strap. https://www.dccargomall.com/15-Rubber-Tarp-Strap-with-Crimped-S-Hooks-installed.aspx )

That's enough for now so hope this helps! Pics to follow.

Last edited by Drifting Yak on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a great setup! :D Let us know how it fishes! :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have pictures to post but haven't figured out how to post them!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drifting Yak wrote:
I have pictures to post but haven't figured out how to post them!

Usually selecting the image tags from the menu above and pasting in the URL address where the picture is hosted is the way to do it.

[img]URL%20link%20here[/img]

Are you using Dropbox or Photobucket?

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is my setup:
I used spare screws from YakAttack for the starboard pocket

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

johnnybravo,

Nice looking ride! :D I have 2 of those umbrellas as well. They work well depending on the conditions. Let us know how it fishes for you. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use this umbrella only in calm weather.
https://youtu.be/6zWZ0NVCbq0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Square Hatch Install

Square Hatch in Place

Starboard Side Pocket

Starboard Lifting Handle

Port Side Setup

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Taco Clip with Push Pole Beside Clip

Taco Clip with Push Pole

Taco Clip with Paddle => It works great!

Crate Connection to Rear Bungee

Last edited by Drifting Yak on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also added a small pouch to the front of my seat (starboard side). This works great for holding my pliers while on the water - easy and quick access. It is attached with zip ties and stays securely fasten to the seat even when the seat is removed from the yak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally got out on the water and had a great time. This was the second time that I've been on the water with the Compass (9 hours total covering 8.5 miles) and can say that this is one heck of a machine! On this trip we had to portage our kayaks across 100 yards of flat but semi-rugged terrain. We used Hobie Heavy Duty Plug-in Kayak Carts to move our yaks and can say that the lighter weight of the Compass made this a breeze (we also had a PA-12 and although it rolled along just fine the Compass was sooooo much easier). Love this yak!

Tight Lines Everyone!