Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Easy/free trick for going reverse on any standard drives:

You simply take out the drive and put it in backwards=instant reverse!!!!!

With practice you can do this in 2 seconds. Although certainly not exactly the most practical solution it works great. The one or two times per season you may feel stuck in a tight area when reverse might help you out give it a try.

This isn't talked about, maybe not many people have even thought about it or considered it. I'm sure it's not officially recommended by Hobie but as long as you are gentle it's not going to damage anything. I don't fish so I have never felt the need for reverse on a regular basis or that the Compass not coming with 180 drive is a deal-breaker as some have mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great suggestion -- thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, that's the way it's always been done with the older drives. I never understood why people said Hobies didn't have reverse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We often went into harbors, canals, and tight areas with our TI, or try to anchor close to shore near bolders, (to go snorkling and diving), where if the boat gets away from us it gets crushed in the rocks, (ocean). We also sometimes put one drive in reverse when we are trying to unset our very big anchor, (for diving offshore), getting that anchor released can be a royal pain.
What we do is put one drive in reverse and one forward, makes it real easy to get into slips and around busy harbors.
Since the Honda outboards don't have reverse, we sometimes put around harbors and canals with one mirage drive in reverse, just in case we need it too.
Just don't forget to flip it back, (yep we forgot once).
We only do tandem yaks, we used to do the same with our old Oasis also. Steering gets a little sketchy though, so we usually had a paddle out as well.
Just sharin our experience that's all
FE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2 potential draw backs.

~If your pedal crank settings are far forward or backwards then it becomes either too cramped or too much of a stretch without having to then readjust them.

~If you have anything in the footwell, and fishos often do, then it runs the risk of disappearing down the drive well when you pull the drive.

I do it on occasion so I can do a slow drift backwards on dead calm days for example, but too much of an inconvenience to say quickly reverse out of a snag or back over a mark. ie inpromtu use

The MD just makes it convenient. If something is convenient you will use it, if not it just becomes a novelty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hygieneboy wrote:
Easy/free trick for going reverse on any standard drives:

You simply take out the drive and put it in backwards=instant reverse!!!!!

With practice you can do this in 2 seconds. Although certainly not exactly the most practical solution it works great. The one or two times per season you may feel stuck in a tight area when reverse might help you out give it a try.

This isn't talked about, maybe not many people have even thought about it or considered it. I'm sure it's not officially recommended by Hobie but as long as you are gentle it's not going to damage anything. I don't fish so I have never felt the need for reverse on a regular basis or that the Compass not coming with 180 drive is a deal-breaker as some have mentioned.

I noticed when flipping mine on my Revo made such a racket all the fish went bye-bye. For fishing I used a little hand paddle until I bought the 180 drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk